Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 months~No schedule~Healthy?~HELP!

Question 3 months~No schedule~Healthy?~HELP!

Where to start.. Annabella has been BF since day one, we've had great luck with it! I knew that the first month or two could be "legally spuratic" as far as when she eats.. does this still hold truth at 3 months?? I read here and there about babies being on feeding schedules.. I'm going to start to write down when she is eating again, as I was able to stop logging a month ago or so when things seemed "regular".. I know she is getting enough, her weight gain seems great and she pees and poops well during the day, but she eats off and on during the day sometimes every half an hour.. sometimes every hour and a half.. and her sleeping! Oh my.. well that's something else.. we co-sleep and I love it and won't give that up.. but how am I supposed to have her down for naps, or get her to sleep at night without having to go to bed myself? Should she be going to sleep at the same time every night? And I enjoy sleeping with her, I like to be near her.. Our place is small, and the bedroom is kind of the living room.. her changing table is in the other room and the kitchen is seperate but that's it, so we have to turn off the tv I think if she's going to try and go to sleep for the night because it seems like it may bother her.. I just feel like a month ago and earlier she was ok to go to sleep no matter what was happening, but now she seems to be more alert and tougher to get to go to sleep.. I bought the "no-cry sleep" book by Elizabeth Pantley and am TRYING to read it, lol, but she wants me to hold her all day.. which I LOVE but never get anything done, because she isn't even napping really, she naps like 20 minutes here and there and that's it, but I know she needs more than that, I can tell because she's cranky and rubbing her eyes.. ANY suggestions??? I would appreciate hearing some success stories or guidance, anything! Not to mention she is teething and that bothers her sometimes.. I need to get more sleep for my sanity.. she used to sleep 5-6 hours from day ONE but now that seems to be tapering.. I LOVE my little bundle and I feel guilty asking for help.. but it's for her best to get more sleep during the day and night! Thanks mamas!

Default Re: 3 months~No schedule~Healthy?~HELP!

I would recomend continuing to feed on demand and avoid a schedule at all costs. This is the best for baby and your supply IMHO.

Also 3 mos is very young for the No Cry Sleep Solution, your LO sound very normal, and the fatigue will pass (although not for several more months) The fact that you co-sleep allows for the most sleep for BF moms.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My DD is 4 months and her schedule is always changing!!

I suppose she is on SOMEWHAT of a schedule...for now, at least, she is eating every 2 hours, takes about 3 short catnaps a day when she's not fighting her sleep, and sleeps from about 11pm-5am on a GOOD day (sometimes waking at 3am to eat). She has been pooping about 3 times a week these days, but for a good while there it was only once a week. But mind you, this is simply her 4 month schedule...at 3 months it was different, at 2 months it was different, and as a newborn it was VERY different.

I think the bottom line is that babies know what they need and try their best to communicate this with their parents, and the parents should try to adhere to the baby's schedule as often as possible, rather than the other way around. I think this is the healthiest way to deal with everything, it promotes bonding, you become more attuned to the ways in which LO communicates, etc.

And don't worry, my 4 month old is a cat napper, too!! Her naps only last about 30 minutes, with a 2 hour nap thrown in every once in a blue moon. For a while there she was also sleeping through the night but has been waking up at 5am for a little over a month now.

Don't worry!!! Enjoy her as much as you can while she is as little as she is, because she will grow up fast!!!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

The only schedule a baby should be on at that age is their own schedule. I have a two year old who is "scheduled" in the sense that we have a mutually developed routine, but that didn't come along until well after her first birthday. My six month old eats and sleeps when she needs to. My job is to facilitate her activities, not arrange them for her.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamacat View Post
    The only schedule a baby should be on at that age is their own schedule. I have a two year old who is "scheduled" in the sense that we have a mutually developed routine, but that didn't come along until well after her first birthday. My six month old eats and sleeps when she needs to. My job is to facilitate her activities, not arrange them for her.
    Very well said.

It sounds as if your little one is perfectly normal. And if she is teething, that could make her want more contact with mom for a while. Just try to enjoy her and not worry about getting things done for now. I have to remind myself the same thing.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!