Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yeast attacks again!

Angry yeast attacks again!

For the third time we have thrush. I thought I won the battle on new years eve and ceased treatment, but it seems to be back! Now My DS has a yeast rash a long with the yeast in his mouth. I am using Gentian Violet and GSE, i also wash everything with a cup of vinegar. Nystatin didn't work the first 2 times So I'd like to go a homeopathic route in curing this. Anyone have tips for me in round 3?
    Mommy to Soren Elliott
    Born 11/20/08 No Drugs, No Epi, all natural water birth baby

At birth: 8lbs 15oz Discharge: 8lbs 6oz 2 weeks:9 lbs 6 weeks: 12lbs 10oz! 11 weeks: 14lbs 7 oz 4 months: 17lbs 8oz 6 months: 19lbs 13oz
    Go mama milk!

Labor Doula in training!
    I work from home! Ask me how!

Default Re: yeast attacks again!

I know you want to go homeopathic, and I did too, but some women just have a hard time getting rid of thrush. Myself included. I have tried everything, and I always have to go with the 10 day course of Diflucan (fluconazole) to get rid of it.

Have you tried APNO? I don't believe that it helps once the yeast gets into your ducts, but it can certainly help the topical discomfort you feel.

ETA: As far as baby, our LO got a yeast diaper rash from antibiotics and the BEST thing we did to get rid of it was put probiotics right on his booty.
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; December 29th, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

i am on round 3 of thrush too!~ what the heck! what is causing this?

Oops, I meant Xmas Eve.

fluconazole works huh? DS has his 6 week check up next week. If its not gone by then I will inquire about it. I also will try the probiotics straight on his bum.

I read that letting him be diaper-less as much as possible would help too, any advice on how to accomplish this without making a huge mess? and does anyone know if monistat is safe for babies bum?
    Mommy to Soren Elliott

At birth: 8lbs 15oz Discharge: 8lbs 6oz 2 weeks:9 lbs 6 weeks: 12lbs 10oz! 11 weeks: 14lbs 7 oz 4 months: 17lbs 8oz 6 months: 19lbs 13oz
    Go mama milk!

Labor Doula in training!

Oh and I have not tried APNO. Does it require a prescription?
    Mommy to Soren Elliott

Go mama milk!

Labor Doula in training!

Hi, salamanda.

Thrush can be pretty awful! Hang in there... the symptoms should ease up pretty quickly since you mentioned you've started a treatment.

You've mentioned some great ways to help things get better... Gentian Violet, GSE, wash everything vinegar and Nystatin. You're right, Nystatin is becoming less and less efficient with a lot of moms.

Sometimes just a little bit can really help from exasperating the symptoms & also might help your systoms get better sooner... Just like you're thinking. Since we have the bacteria in our bodies already, the difficult thing is keeping it under control and not "getting active" & then preventing the thrush from being passed from one family member to the other.

You might want to try these few things, too:

* Wash bras in hot water and allow them to air dry in the sun, if possible
    * Change breast pads frequently
    * Using a vinegar & water solution after every nursing session
    * Air drying (breasts/nipples) after nursing
    * Taking acidophilus, Grapefruit seed extract & B6 vitamins tablets can help keep yeast in balance
    * Watching sugar intake
    * Washing hands before, during & after diaper changes
    * Washing hands frequently during the day
    * Treating your baby while mom is being treated

I've heard Jack Newman's APNO works for many moms, but you might want to check any medication info with your doctor and maybe contact an LLL Leader to get more detailed information about a particular medication, etc. And, although GV is OTC, sometimes it can burn a baby's mouth... so use with discretion.

take care!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Thanks Carla, I will have a hard time with the sugar intake(I love all things sweet) but I can try the rest!
    Mommy to Soren Elliott

Go mama milk!

Labor Doula in training!

No problem! I know what you mean about decreasing sweets... very hard for me, too. Sometimes just decreasing the amount can help. Good luck!
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*salamanda View Post
    I also will try the probiotics straight on his bum.
    And if you have the powder probiotics, you don't need to get his booty wet first. I did that the first time and it made his cheeks stick together! I had to wet it down again to get them apart! So now I just pat it on the rash dry. It usually works in just one dose, although I keep putting it on there for a few days to make sure it is all gone.

God luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I know you want to go homeopathic, and I did too, but some women just have a hard time getting rid of thrush. Myself included. I have tried everything, and I always have to go with the 10 day course of Diflucan (fluconazole) to get rid of it.
    Diflucan is the only thing that worked for me too. It worked really fast.

Hope you're able to get rid of it soon!
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!