Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Back to work and

Default Help! Back to work and

Hi! this is my first post, so i appreciate any advice you can send my way.

I've been back at work now for 7 weeks (pumping 2x a day and getting 4oz each time).

I have 2 isses:
    1. In the past couple of weeks, my 17 week old seems to be increasing his feedings to 6oz. we started supplementing with formula becuase he cries throughout our feedings becuase i don't think i'm producing enough milk and since i'm not with him to exclusively breastfeed him, i can't increase my supply.

2. Starting in January i won't be able to pump at work (i'm an accountant).

i would still like to continue our 5am feeding before work and 7pm bedtime feeding after work. is there a way to "train" my breasts to produce enough milk for these 2 feedings exclusively? is there a way to get my supply up to 6oz for these feedings? i'm afraid that if i cut out my 2 pumping sessions at work too suddenly then my milk will diminish all at once.

THANKS for any advice. happy holidays.

Default Re: Help! Back to work and

How old is lo? Would you be willing to pump after your am feeding and your pm feeding? Are there any options for you to pump on a lunch break or do you just not want to pump anymore? I'm not being rude just trying to find out your situation. What are your plans for when you are home with lo? Would you still like to bf all day? What type of pump do you have? Sorry so many questions, it just helps to know more so we can give better advise.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Thanks for your response.
    Baby is 17 weeks old. I would definatley be willing to pump after the feedings. do you think that would help increase supply for that feeding? I assume baby would drain my breasts fully after each feeding.

I could possibly pump at lunch but things are always so hectic this time of year, i just can't guarantee it.

I would totally be open to BF exclusively when I'm home, I just don't think I have enough milk to accomodate his now 6oz feeding habit (so we've been supplementing 1 bottle a day on weekends). As such, he cries throughout feedings and wants to eat more often and my breasts are still feeling deflated by the time he's ready to eat again.

I have a Medela Pump In Style.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sewarsh View Post
    Thanks for your response.
    Baby is 17 weeks old. I would definatley be willing to pump after the feedings. do you think that would help increase supply for that feeding? I assume baby would drain my breasts fully after each feeding.

I could possibly pump at lunch but things are always so hectic this time of year, i just can't guarantee it.

I would totally be open to BF exclusively when I'm home, I just don't think I have enough milk to accomodate his now 6oz feeding habit (so we've been supplementing 1 bottle a day on weekends). As such, he cries throughout feedings and wants to eat more often and my breasts are still feeling deflated by the time he's ready to eat again.

I have a Medela Pump In Style.
    He's probably going through a growth spurt. 6oz is a lot of bm for a 17 month old.
    The key to pumping after baby has emptied your breast is it tells your body to increase production because baby wants more milk than is there. Also, you can let him suckle longer to help fully empty the breast as he is the best pump out there.
    At 17 months it would be difficult (not impossible) to maintain a good supply while missing feedings. I understand you have your constraints while working but I would do what I could to at least get 1 - 2 pumping sessions in a day. ARe you working 5 days a week and for how many hours? If you're only working a few hours it's definitely more workable...I assume you'll be working full time 8 hours a day?
    Good pump! Let me know on the work schedule so I can brainstorm with you.
    When you supplement one bottle on the weekend are you pumping to stimilate more milk production? By supplementing you're actually telling your body you don't need that milk (you're over producing) that's definitely not the case. If you want to supplement try putting him to your breast first and then supplement if you feel he needs more and I would highly recommend a good ten minutes of pumping while he's eating to increase production
    Last edited by @llli*jtandaj; December 29th, 2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: supplement question
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    expecting 10/1/11

he's actually 17 weeks, not 17 months, but i hear ya.

i'm goign to try to pump after those feedings if they seem to be dwindling in production. i'm also going to try to pump at lunch. so hopefully my body will get used to feeding at 5am, pumping at noon and feeding at 7pm. then, as necesssary, throughout the day we'll use formula. do you think that would work?

i'm afraid my milk will decrease if i slow down to only 3 feedings a day, but i suppose if i work hard to ensure those feedings occur at the same times and pump afterwards if supply starts to get low, it may work. would you agree?

i work 3 days a week and am out of the house from 6:30am - 7pm.

Sorry, I did mean 17 weeks. It would be a whole lot easier if he were 17 months

Yes, I think if you put the effort in you can keep nursing when you're at home. You have to do what works best for you and your family. Definitely pump as much as possible. You'll have the most milk in the am so definitely pump after the am feeding. I'm certain you'll have a big change in supply but keep coming to us for support and we'll try to help you along. You may find that you'll be able to bf lo all day when you're home with out supplementing.

Make sure to take good care of yourself too Maybe try to create a schedule before you go back to work. You'd be surprised how much milk you make when lo's not sucking away. You don't want to let yourself get too engorged while working. I sure hope it works out for you to pump. It's an amazing expirience to go through the different phases of bfing.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    expecting 10/1/11

Thanks for all your insight. I've been back to work for 7 weeks now and pumping 2x a day so i've got a good routine down. i had lots of troubles breastfeeding daughter after went back to work so i've been doing so much to keep it still going with my son.

I would try to continue nursing exclusively while at home with your lo and on your lunch break. The relaxing hormones released from producing milk may help you get through the tax season.

Where do you pump? Do you have a private office or room where you could possibly pump and work at the same time? There are hands-free pumps available and there is a way to hook the horns of an ordinary pump up to your bra hooks so you can be hands-free. I'll look for the links for that and post it if I can find it.

it is great that you are making plans before it gets too busy at work.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Remember that your breasts are never fully drained of milk. I would try pumping after feedings and could you consider a hands free bra?

like this one http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Expressio.../dp/B000Y1RQ0C

I have used this one while preparing fpr trial or times when I cannot take a break and it's worked well.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

It certainly is difficult for a mom to return to work, both emotionally and physically. Most moms, once they overcome the initial challenges everything comes together a bit easier as the days go by. I'm sure us moms can give you some ideas to help the transition back to work run a little smoother for you. You've received some great ideas already.

Generally, a baby will take more milk from a bottle than they will when they're nursing. This is especially so since the foremilk (1st part of bm that is more watery) and foremilk (coming after foremilk & contains more fats/proteins) are mixed in a bottle of ebm. Plus, the milk flow is constant in a bottle.

Many moms find that if they ask their caregiver to slow down baby's feeding with "burping" breaks after every ounce, this helps a baby become satiated easily. When moms are able to store milk in 2-4 ounce quantities, it helps minimize waste. This strategy helps many working moms. Of course, when you're at home, nurse on-cue. For many, the weekends can be a break from needing to pump and will help a mom's supply.

If baby is fussy, would your caregiver be open to try wearing him in a carrier or rocking him to help calm him? Sometimes it's hard for a babysitter to use other means of calming a baby besides using a bottle, so giving this option might be helpful, too. Also, sometimes a caregiver doesn't know very much about feeding expressed milk to a baby so it may be beneficial to share some info about breastmilk to your babysitter.

And, yes, it's definitely possible to continue nursing in the morning and evenings... eliminate these feedings slowly (one feeding every few days) and be careful not to get overly full... could lead to some blocked ducts/mastitis... hand express just a little so that you don't feel uncomfortable. Many mothers have had much success, as mentioned, with the hands free pumping, etc.

Hang in there! You can do it!!
    Last edited by @llli*LLLCarla; December 30th, 2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add more info
    Carla
    LLL Leader