Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't be able no BF for a couple of days, worried!

Default Won't be able no BF for a couple of days, worried!

I am going to be having minor surgery in a couple or weeks, I am going to be in the hospital for 3 days and I won't be able to nurse. I will be able to pump to keep my supply up while in the hospital, but I am really worried that Dexter won't want to nurse after having bottles for the time I am away. Will this totally mess up BF or will he be ok afterwards. He is 3 months old, will he forget hw to BF?? I have worked SOOOOO hard to get breastfeeding on the right track, it was so hard in the beginning, but now we are doing great, and I am so scared this will mess up all my hard work!

Has anyone ever gone through this, if so, did your lo go back to nursing afterwards?? I can't avoid the surgery, it has to be done, but I am so scraed.......

any advice will be greatly appriciated!

Sophie Dec 13 2005
    Dexter Sept 22 2008

6 weeks 3 months 6 months 9 months 12 months

Default Re: Won't be able no BF for a couple of days, worried!

Hi! Hope I'm not to late to post an answer - I'm sure other moms will chime in. It sounds like you are scared that while you are in the hospital your baby will either forget how to nurse or will start to prefer the bottle to nursing. Does that sound right?

You said your lo is 3 mo, yes? Has he had a bottle, yet? If not, your biggest concern might be that he might not take the bottle - but don't worry, you can feed him other ways.

If he does take the bottle, and you are concerned about nipple/bottle confusion, then the most important thing is the type of bottle you choose to give him. There are lots of bottles that act like and resemble breast feeding that might help him not to forget how to nurse and not to get confused. 3 days really isn't too long to be away from him. As long as you get the right kind of bottle, then you should be ok. The best types of bottles I found were The First Years breast feeding bottles with slow flow or medium flow nipples - and the playtex drop ins. Do those types of bottles sound like they might help you?

Also, if your baby does have some bottle/nipple confusion, there are ways that you can coax him back to nursing. So, try not to worry (easier said than done!) even if he does have some trouble adjusting back and forth. but, chances are, if you get the right kind of bottle, you will be ok.

I hope that helps. Please let us know how you are doing!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Yes, I am totally worried that after having bottles that he won't want to nuse any more. He will take a bottle from Daddy no problem (he screams if I try lol) we use the playtex drop ins with the slow flow nipple, we have been giving him a bottle of ebm at night now for 2 weeks to get him ready for me being away.

We have worked SOOOOO hard to get BF'ing to work for us, the first 2 and a hlaf months were awful, we struggled every day, and now, thanks to alot of perserverence we have a great thing going. The thought of messing it up litterally has had me in tears

We struggled throught OALD, colic, then undersupply, now its great and I want to keep it that way!!!

Sophie Dec 13 2005
    Dexter Sept 22 2008

6 weeks 3 months 6 months 9 months 12 months

I was in a similar situation when my son was about 10 week old- I had surgery and couldn't nurse for 3-4 days. I pumped enough for him to have when I couldn't nurse him and I pumped in the hospital and tossed the milk (because of the anastesia and the pain meds after).

I made sure that DH used bottles with the slowest flow nipples and that we got him used to it a couple of days before I was going to be out of commission.

He absolutely did not forget how to nurse in that time frame. On the contrary, he was super excited to get back to mom that he didn't want to let go for a few days! It was a great way to recover because of the "happy hormones" released when nursing.

One quick tip: try to time pumping or your last nursing session as soon before the surgery as possible. If it is a long surgery and recovery period, it could be a couple of hours before you get to pump. Also, if you always wear a bra now, make sure you tell them that so they don't leave you with just the gown on or you could get engorged and soaking wet, too! While they wouldn't let me keep my bra on, they did wrap my chest with that gauze roll so it would keep me nice and secure and also soak up some of the milk that leaked.
    I'm not sure what kind of surgery you're having, but they can usually get you on some medication that is BF-safe. If you need strong medicine for the first day or so, they can sometimes switch you to something else on day 2 or 3.

Good luck! And don't worry about baby- he should be fine.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08