Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 16 month old refusing solids after illness

Unhappy 16 month old refusing solids after illness

My 16 month old got strep throat late last month and ever since has been refusing solids at breakfast/lunch and sometimes dinner (depending on what I give him). I've been told to cut back on the nursing to make him hungry, however he (obviously) just gets upset (as do I) and won't eat anyway. (He won't try anything new either). I've also been told the pain of the strep probably scared him into not wanting to eat, and to give it time... but it's been nearly a month?!

Thankfully, I am a stay at home mom and am able to devote the time nursing, but it's finally draining on me. I nurse him throughout the night and (now) day. As such, his dirty diapers are reverting back to pre-solid days (mustard seeds and all).

He was a finiky eater before the illness, too. I suspect he simply prefers the milk, I just don't know how to get him interested in solids again? I should note that I am somewhat strict in what I allow my kids to eat. I don't buy much in the way of packaged snack foods - I make most of what we eat from scratch. He still won't "bite"...

Any ideas?

Default Re: 16 month old refusing solids after illness

Hi DF705,
    Strep throat must have been so painful for you little one. I remember having strep throat myself about 11 years ago. It felt like I was swallowing shards of glass - really painful!
    It sounds like nursing is still really soothing for him but you are worried about how long this might go on.
    Is there any chance there is still a medical concern here? Is his sore throat considered healed? Could you talk to your doctor about ways to treat any real discomfort he might still have?
    Breastmilk is still very nutritious for him and clearly comforting for him, too. I'm not sure what you've already tried for foods, perhaps he would like some liquid-y foods, like protein-filled smoothie shakes or applesauce or yogurt?

Mary

I agree with mary...he might still be hurting sometimes strep takes a long time to get beter from.
    my 9 year old eats like a bird! He just doesn't need much food.
    ITs hard not to worry about them.
    just keep trying, and maybe fix some of his favorties.
    My kids always will eat a good plain hambuger. lol

Remember your milk still has antibodies in it and they combat strep throat so it may be instinctive for him to want to nurse. I would say if you are that worried than call the dr. It may also help to keep the foods softer but cooler which I am told helps with a sore throat.