Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I took Pepto

Default I took Pepto

I didn't even think and took 2 doses of pepto this morning and when I looked it up, this can be assoc with Reyes syndrome. What do I do know? [] ds is 9 mos old and I don't know how long it will affect my milk.

Default Re: I took Pepto

Do you have any pumped handy? Personally I think you'll be okay as it was just the one time. But if you have some pumped, I'd probably substitute the next feeding, if you have that option.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

My understanding is that it's associated with the syndrome when children take it. I couldn't find anything on Dr Hale's site but you could try calling an LLL Leader and asking her to look up the info for you.
    I'm not a dr but I'd think that one dose wouldn't be as much a concern as if you were taking it everyday for a long period.

Agree w/ PP's - one or two doses, you should be ok.
    From kellymom.com
    Diarrhea meds:
    Loperamide Imodium, Pepto Diarrhea Control, Maalox Antidiarrheal Caplets, Kaopectate II Caplets, Immodium Advanced - lactation risk category L2.

** Note: Pepto-Bismol & Kaopectate (bismuth subsalicylate is the active ingredient in both) are not recommended for routine use by nursing moms, due to the association of salicylates with Reyes syndrome in children.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

should be just fine to nurse!
    You just don't want to take it all the time.