Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adding formula to breastmilk?

Default Adding formula to breastmilk?

I've been nursing my 3 mo son, and supplementing with either ebm or formula as necessary, since my supply doesn't seem to meet his needs. Additionally, he is only about 10 lbs but with his ht and head size the dr wants him to be closer to 12 lbs. She's been having me supplement him 3x/day after he nurses to try and get more calories into him and help him gain more weight. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be working as well as expected, probably b/c he is just not hungry after nursing, and some days he just doesn't want to eat much at all. Consequently, he hasn't really gained much this week, and we have a weight check on Wednesday. A friend had mentioned that when her twins (born premature) were younger she was adding formula to ebm and it helped them gain more quickly. Is this a real option, or are there other things I suggest to the dr instead? I wouldn't do anything until talking to the dr first, but thought if others had experience with this they could offer input. I am trying to bulk up the supply, with Fenugreek, oatmeal, more frequent nursing and pumping after feedings. Haven't seen much improvement yet, but am hoping to soon. Thanks for any advice.

Jennifer

Mommy to Eliana 2/4/02 & Johnny 10/22/05

Default Re: Adding formula to breastmilk?

What was your ds lowest weight? What is it now? How many wet and dirty diapers per 24 hours?

His lowest weight was about 5 lbs 14oz when he came home from the hospital, birth wt was 6lbs 3oz. His weight yesterday was 9 lbs 11.9 oz. He has 5-7 wet diapers a day, 2-5 dirty ones.

The dr started being concerned about his weight at his 2 mo chkup b/c he only gained 5 oz from Dec 15 - Jan 6. We had been out of town, so I think my supply went down with all the stress, change in schedule, bottle feedings, etc. The dr has run all kinds of tests over the last month, which has been stressful, and my 4yo dd was in the hospital for a week with pneumonia, so my supply still hasn't rebounded yet. Hence, the supplementary feedings.

I have been working with a lacatation consultant locally, and am a member of my local LLL, so the myriad of issues getting nursing established seem to be solved, I just have to figure out how to get this kid to put on some more weight.

Thanks for your help

Jennifer

Mommy to Eliana 2/4/02 & Johnny 10/22/05

You might try breast compressions while you are nursing to get more milk in him. Breastmilk has more calories and fat than formula so if you're trying to get him to gain some weight then it might be better to supplement with expressed breastmilk instead. Also, when you've been offering that bottle of formula after a nursing session, are you pumping your breasts during this time? You might also want to try a supplemental nursing system like the Lact-Aid. This way, baby gets the supplement while directly nursing at the breast. The breast stimulation is going to prompt your body to make more milk. But the fact that your baby appears to be full & refuses a supplemental bottle after a nursing session leads me to believe that your supply is probably adequate. Have you considered taking a galactagogue (such as fenugreek) and either nursing or pumping every 2 hours to increase your supply? This would be a good way to express some breastmilk for supplementing baby.

That said, it's just simply possible that your baby gains less than the "average" baby. It seems that I keep posting this article by Dr. Jay Gordon but I think it's encouraging and reassuring so I continue to put it out there Look at the Baby, Not the Scale

Also, this isn't from an approved LLL source but it's got good info nonetheless: How might I increase baby's weight gain?

HTH! Keep up the hard work! You'll get through this