Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lying down while nursing

Default lying down while nursing

Nursing lying down works great for us. However I have found that when I nurse DS lying down, nursing from the top breast makes my back sore. Does anybody have a solution for this? Right now, I've been moving myself around on the bed to get to his other side. Surely there's a better way. TIA.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Default Re: lying down while nursing

I'll be waiting to see the replies - I have very small breasts and can't nurse from the top one while lying down.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

I've never tried nursing the top one while laying down. Seemed impossible to me so I just lay her on my stomach and turn to the other side. Gives me a break from staying too long on one side and she gets the other breasts. I'd also be curious to see how that would work. At first my back would hurt from just giving her the bottom one because I have to lean back a little and put my arm under her head to prop her up or we both sink in the bed.
    First time mom to Kaylee
    at work and all other times
    GOAL: 3 months... 6 months... 9 months ...12 months...

I also always nurse from the bottom breast- the logistics of using the top breast are not apparent to me.
    But what if you roll more toward the baby so you arne't really laying on your side but almost half way between on your side and on your stomach? Not sure exactly how comfortable it would be, or how easy it would be to keep that position, but I guess you'd have to try.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

this is all very interesting b/c I have an easier time nursing from my TOP breast. It happens to be my left which is a little bigger. Both of my boobs are a little too taut b/c of a previous breat reduction. I have a lot of trouble getting him on my bottom boob, but I can't switch since my 4yo is on the other side of me.

I don't have any suggestion for you. I don't find lying down nursing to be very comfortable myself, even though it does allow me to get more sleep, so I do love it.

I just think the benefits are so great, I would try it any way you can.

I love nursing while lying down also

I tried to nurse with the upper breast -- but the back does hurt, so I either carry the baby around and turn to that other side, so the upper boob will be down now, or crawl on the other side of the baby if I do not want to disturb him. You need to have space on the bad to do so though..

I currently roll her over on my stomach or I get on the other side of her. It's a logistical nightmare when I want to sleep and don't want to wake her. Not sure if there's a good answer for this.

or crawl on the other side of the baby if I do not want to disturb him. You need to have space on the bad to do so though..
    Yes, this is the problem. We run out of bed space! He's really heavy so I've been avoiding laying him on my stomach, but I suppose if this is the only way, I'll have to give it a try!

I have very small breasts and can't nurse from the top one while lying down.
    I could see this. This is where large, droopy breasts come in handy.

what if you roll more toward the baby so you arne't really laying on your side but almost half way between on your side and on your stomach? Not sure exactly how comfortable it would be, or how easy it would be to keep that position, but I guess you'd have to try.
    This is what I do. Its fairly comfortable, but my back hurts later. My left breast is larger so when lying on my right side, I just have to rotate my body and in she goes. Not good for the back, though.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

When using the top breast move your self into a position that is close to you being on your stomach. That hurts the back way less and can be achieved with big droopy boobs!

Way too lazy for formula

hey hun I love this position its the only one we use unless out somewhere, ok I admit it my breasts are quite saggy and rather large so I nurse from one side, I dont know how to stop the pain I find my hips hurt after awhile, so what we do is wait for her to finish one breast sit up to burp then roll to the other side for the other breast doesnt really work for night feeds because she just eats what she wants when she wants not sure its helped much