Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oald

Default Oald

Can your experience with OALD be different with each child? I didn't have any forceful let down with my first son, but now I know it's much stronger with this son.

He's gaining weight and has normal stools- so I guess it can't really be OALD. But he does gulp and arch his back and pull off- and if all he wanted to do is comfort suck, he will start to whimper at the breast.

Also, he does get a lot of air (so I burp him when he stops his nutritive sucking pattern and then at the end- and usually a couple of minutes later, too). I also only nurse on one side at each feeding and if he wants to eat again soon after the feeding, I go back to the same side.

So, I guess I'm doing things the right way- I just find it wierd that I didn't have any kind of forceful let down with my first son but now I do (and it's not like there was a big gap between when i stopped with DS 1 and started with DS2- I nursed him until I was 40 weeks pregnant, so there was only like two weeks in between). Anyone else experience that?
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Default Re: Oald

I don't have any relevant personal experience, but I do know someone who had OALD with her second baby, and not with her first. It seems logical to me that every breastfeeding experience is different, just like every baby is different...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Oald

It just seems wierd to me since it's a "mom" issue and not a "baby" issue.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08