Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: no weight gain

Default no weight gain

hey ladies, we have a scale here, so i keep an eye on DS's weight gain. i weight him about a week or 2 ago, then weighed him again today and he's only gained half an oz.

i thought he was supposed to gain 1/2 oz everyday.... i'm pretty sure his output is fine, and he has a BM atleast once a day usually more.

i just thought for sure that he would be over 15 lbs by now. I just know that me being pregnant will most likely affect my supply and ive noticed it for the past 4 weeks.

i was just wondering what to make of it. Is he not getting enough to gain weight, but just enough to sustain him or something??
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Default Re: no weight gain

Every week or two? You're obsessing mama!

I think that from 4-6 months it is 3-4 oz per week (per the WHO chart).

And this is from Kellymom
    Babies grow in spurts rather than at a steady rate -
    Nolan only weighs about 22 lbs now, and he would be 11 months (adjusted).

He's good mama...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

thanks!!!!!
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelmareuby View Post
    hey ladies, we have a scale here, so i keep an eye on DS's weight gain. i weight him about a week or 2 ago, then weighed him again today and he's only gained half an oz.

i thought he was supposed to gain 1/2 oz everyday.... i'm pretty sure his output is fine, and he has a BM atleast once a day usually more.

i just thought for sure that he would be over 15 lbs by now. I just know that me being pregnant will most likely affect my supply and ive noticed it for the past 4 weeks.

i was just wondering what to make of it. Is he not getting enough to gain weight, but just enough to sustain him or something??
    Hi, there.

It sounds like you're a bit worried about your baby's breastmilk input. Let's see wha we can come with...

How old is your baby? 4 mos?? I know you mentioned your baby has plenty of wet diapers and at least one poopie diaper daily.. Is this correct??

Generally, up until the age of 6 mos, a baby tends to gain *about* 1/2 a pound a week (5-6 ounces). Scales can be inaccurate, too. Generally, if a baby is getting plenty of wet/poopie diapers, is generally in a good mood, baby is probably doing alright.

But... are you pregnant now? If so, since a mother's milk supply *may* decrease while pregnant and your baby is less than a year old, you may want to discuss nutrition and supplements with your ped to make sure your son receives enough.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader