Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teeth!!

Default Teeth!!

So DD now as two teeth on top. The left front tooth and the eye tooth beside it. The rub when she nurses and it hurts!!! I keep trying to unlatch her and get her to latch again, but she doesn't adjust the latch. She just latches the same way. She's also getting frustrated that the let down doesn't happen very quickly anymore. She gets impatient. So unlatching her makes that worse. Is there anything I can do about the teeth? It hurts! And she's not even biting!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: Teeth!!

Two things I did for teeth:
    1. Switch up nursing positions with each feeding so the teeth rub in a different spot and no one spot gets sore.
    2. Apply lanolin to the sore areas before feeding to create a "barrier" from the teeth.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

This happens with every new tooth that DD gets. She's doing it right now, in fact...

The primary thing that has worked for us is me being extra super careful to keep her body up higher so her weight isn't dragging her down, putting pressure on the nipple with her teeth. I can't get lazy and just let her lay in my lap; she has to be held up the entire time.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Ok I will try the positions thing. I have noticed that it is really only my right breast that hurts. Her position on the left is fine and the teeth don't rub. I'm determined to figure it out though!! I've had people tell me I'll stop nursing when she gets teeth so I have to bite my tongue and not complain!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness