Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need your help!!!

Default I need your help!!!

Okay, so I know I am usually the one with just questions, and not "issues"... but I have a big one now

So I know that while you are ON your period, your milk supply can drop... I am now on my SECOND in two weeks, and my milk supply has completely ceased. At first DS was fussing and pulling away, and I thought it was just distraction or impatience with the letdown... so I started trying to manually express before I nurse and I can barely get a drip out. I wrestled with this all day, nursing him almost nonstop, one side then the next about every 20 minutes, hoping it would help, but it hasn't and I finally just gave him some formula, crying the entire time. I am not going to stop trying to nurse, but I am just worried that this is going to interrupt everything, and what if it doesn't come back? I have been eating oatmeal, and I don't have a pump at the moment, or the extra cash (due to Christmas) to go get a new one right now. I am at my wits end with frustration and guilt that I don't know what to do! I would really appreciate any input, support, suggestion, stories, whatever. I do NOT want to stop nursing and I am so upset with the idea of giving him formula, please help! This is going on two or three days now, and it's getting worse and worse... My right side, no matter how much he sucks, or I try to express, NOTHING comes out. Suggestions and ideas PLEASE!
    Jorie
    Mother to Cullen Micheal, Oct 8, 2008 7lbs 2 oz

1 Month: 9lbs 8oz!
    2 Months: 10lbs 6oz!
    3 Months: 12lbs 13oz!

Default Re: I need your help!!!

Sounds like you need to visit your doctor, about your milk supply and about why so many periods. I know that the medication domperidone can restore your milk supply if it drops suddenly, you can ask about that, and also ask your doctor to rule out any physical causes for your drop in milk supply. Other than that, you can take baby to bed with you for 24 hours and see if you get your milk back.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...actagogue.html

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/hindrances.html

I'm also wondering if your baby's weight gain has been a little on the low side? Baby's should gain about 6 oz / week at this age, with a minimum of 4-5 oz/week. From what you've posted, your baby's gained 14 oz in 1 month.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

His weight gain for the first month was on the low side of average, but according to the chart on the WHO website, it still was in "Average", so I didn't worry, but now that you mention it I am going to weigh him again to check. He's always happy, healthy and content, so I haven't worried about it up until now. I think the double period is because I started taking the POP birth control pill the hospital sent home with me, and I have had issues with birth control pills in the past. It's just that I didn't want to rely on the "lowered chances" of getting pregnant while BF, so we figured with condoms AND the POP pills, we would be ok. The doctor when I gave birth (and the doctor at my 6 week pp visit) said it was the only thing they would give me since I am BFing (military hospital.. dont get me started on the horror stories I have). The issue is that right now I don't have insurance and we are still waiting for the military to add DS to his dad's insurance, so I can't go to the doctor yet unless it is an emergency. That's why this is so frustrating and why I came on here, to hopefully find something to help in the meantime
    Jorie

Also, we aren't using the most reliable method to weigh him, haha all we have is the digital scale WE use, so we weigh with him, then without.
    Jorie

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*anewmommie View Post
    I think the double period is because I started taking the POP birth control pill the hospital sent home with me, and I have had issues with birth control pills in the past.
    You might want to consider a different method of birth control. Hormonal contraceptives can definitely wreak havoc with your milk supply! If you decide to stop, you can do so right away; there's no need to wait until the end of the month.

If you decide you want to use a different birth control method, you can check out all the different options here. Condoms plus spermicide, or a diaphragm with spermicide are great options that are non-hormonal and very effective when used correctly.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"