Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Her pooping is speeding up!

Default Her pooping is speeding up!

Since DD was about 5 weeks, she has only pooped 1-2 times a week...maybe 3 times a week at MOST, and that was only once in a blue moon. I have never been worried about this, because I know it is normal for poops to slow down at around 6 weeks.

DD is now 4 months and this week she has had a poop almost every single day!! Is this because her organs are maturing, and should I expect her to poop more nowadays? I'm not worried about the pooping by any means, but I think I'm going to miss not having to change many stinky diapers!! Is this what I have to look forward to now?

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

Default Re: Her pooping is speeding up!

Who knows, maybe teething? Babies keep us on our toes. If there's anything I can guarantee, its that her pooping will continue to change. DS once went 14 days without pooping, now its 3 times a day.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I can believe that!!

I think teething could be the culprit...I say this for many reasons, one being because she has not been drinking as vigorously as usual, mostly just snacking at the breast, and I know this can be a symptom of teething...but that just makes it even weirder that she's pooping so much more than usual!!

Oh well, I'm sure it will all resolve itself in time.

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

I think there's a lot of new moms that have poop diaries. LOL. Anyway, if your teething baby's neither biting you nor waking you up 10x a night, consider the poop to be a blessing in disguise.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Yes, a baby's poopie diaper count can often change at *about* the 6 week point, so your thoughts are right on... That said, you may just want to make sure baby's wet diapers are "plentiful" and that she's not "straining" during those poopie times. What has your ped said?

Has anything else changed? Have solids of any kind been added or any type of medication? Sometimes, things like antibiotics can produce some "looser" or more frequent bm's.

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Just to let you know that I'm experiencing the same thing. Eleanor has been pooping about every 5 days until a week ago and now she's having 1-2 dirties a day from 4 1/2 months. No change in consistency so not worried.
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.