Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help badly.. with breastfeeding newborn

Unhappy Need Help badly.. with breastfeeding newborn

I had my daughter on Monday the 22nd.. I am trying to breastfeed for the first time with this baby.. I am having some problems I think..
    My milk has come in, but its not alot I think.. I pump and get about maybe 2oz. sometimes way less, and that is from both boobs... I try to breastfeed my daughter, but she just wants to fight me all the way and screams and crys and holds her mouth open and reaches from side to side.. She will latch on and suck a few times or more, then falls asleep.. I take my nipple out and she will sleep for a min, but then I will try to wake her up so she can eat more and we start all over again with the crying and fighting.. What does all this mean????
    I am so stressed out about it, I am about to go to formula..
    She spits up alot has the hickups ALOT, and everytime she farts its a wet one.. yellow with chunks in it.. (tmi, sorry)..
    What should I do..
    I have a call into my nurse person to help me, but she will have to call me tomorrow.. What can she do that I am not already doing myself..
    I want to breastfeed so badly to help with cost of things and cuz it so much more heathy for the baby..
    Am I just not producing enough milk or something..
    How often can I pump? Like 1-2 hours to get my milk supply up or something??

Please help.. I am at a total loss about all this..
    I know alot of you will say dont give up, and I am trying not too, But I am so upsest about all this.. I just sit here and cry cuz I am so stressed about it..
    I know I need to calm down and I am working on it.. I take deep breaths when she fights me, and just calm down and just keep trying to get my nipple in her mouth...
    I also went and got the nipple guards, they worked alittle bit, but she still fights me when I try to get her to latch on..

Default Re: Need Help badly.. with breastfeeding newborn

I'm so sorry you are off to a rough start. My DS and I had issues the first few days, but the lactation nurse at the hospital really did help me alot. Is there a possibility that she is tongue tied? I know most hospitals tell you and fix it, but I didn't even know what it was until my son's two week checkup, and they still wouldn't fix it, even after they said it would cause problems nursing. Also, have you tried different nursing positions? At first, I found the normal cradle hold worked MUCH better if I was reclined all the way back, and that is what worked for me.

Try to have faith in the lactation consultant, because she might see something that can help that you can't see in your position. I hope you get it all figured out, mama.
    Jorie
    Mother to Cullen Micheal, Oct 8, 2008 7lbs 2 oz

1 Month: 9lbs 8oz!
    2 Months: 10lbs 6oz!
    3 Months: 12lbs 13oz!

Don't stress yourself out too much with the pumping. Pumping can be very misleading. A mom with a great supply could have a hard time pumping anything because she's just not responding to the pump. Doesn't mean she doesn't have plenty for her baby.

Definitely gets some hands on help - I know your on your way there. You can call your LLL Leader too. They are volunteer so there is no cost to you.

How many wet and dirty diapers is she having in a 24 period? Just keep nursing her and putting her to your breast as often as she'll let you. Try swaddling her to keep her calm and her hands down.
    When she falls asleep at the breast you can compress your breast to keep her awake and interested.

Just keep going - it GETS BETTER! I promise that it gets better.

The first couple weeks are hard, especially for 1st-time moms, so push through, your efforts will be worth it!

Are you keeping a record of wet and poopy diapers? This can be very reassuring and will tell you if you have enough milk. How much you get from a pump is not reliable. Your baby is the best pump.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

Sometimes babies have stretched a muscle during the birth and it bothers them to be in the cradle hold. Try different positions, like lying down, or football. Try swaddling her to calm her, before you feed her. It could also be a tongue-tie or reflux, so many things. So you need to get advice on this.

Most of all, it sounds like what you need is good hands on help. Even a 1/2 hour with the right person can be enough to set you on the right track. You deserve it, mom. There's good help out there and some not-so-good help. If you've got the right person helping you, things will turn around quickly. If your nurse can't get things better for you, call someone else, right away, like a local LLL leader. You'll be glad you did.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Congratulations on the new baby!

My milk has come in, but its not alot I think.. I pump and get about maybe 2oz. sometimes way less, and that is from both boobs...
    Don't worry, 2 oz from both breasts is plenty for a very young baby like yours!!! And don't judge your milk supply by pumping, as babies are generally much better at getting milk from the breast than pumps are.

I try to breastfeed my daughter, but she just wants to fight me all the way and screams and crys and holds her mouth open and reaches from side to side..
    Sounds like a normal newborn to me. Latching on is a learned skill, and your baby will get much better at it as time goes on and her head control improves. Sometimes it's easier to latch a baby on before she starts to cry- when a baby becomes frantic they often forget to latch on because they are so upset and don't yet understand that just a few sucks will make them feel better.

She will latch on and suck a few times or more, then falls asleep.. I take my nipple out and she will sleep for a min, but then I will try to wake her up so she can eat more and we start all over again with the crying and fighting.. What does all this mean????
    Sounds like your baby might be a little sleepy. Is she jaundiced at all? That can make a baby very tired. Some things you can do to keep your baby awake at the breast include:
    - Undress her, so that the cool air keeps her awake.
    - Wipe the soles of her feet with a damp washrag, or wipe the washrag against the grain of the hair on her head.
    - Try breast compressions to keep the milk flowing
    - Try switch nursing- the moment suckling slows, switch the baby to the opposite breast.

I am so stressed out about it, I am about to go to formula..
    I can understand why you feel so stressed out, but it really sounds like things are going well! I don't think there's any need to go to formula, but I do think you should see a lactation consultant just to put your mind at ease, and maybe teach you a few tricks to make nursing easier.

She spits up alot has the hickups ALOT, and everytime she farts its a wet one.. yellow with chunks in it.. (tmi, sorry)..
    This is all 100% normal. All babies spit up. Sometimes they spit up a lot. Hiccups are normal. And many breastfed babies move their bowels every time they nurse, or even more frequently, as breastmilk is a natural laxative. The poop you describe- "yellow with chunks in it"- sounds like perfectly normal, healthy breastfed baby poop. It's great that the poops are yellow- that means she's getting plenty of cream from you. If your baby's poops were green you might have cause to worry, because that sometimes means the baby isn't getting enough fatty milk.

Eventually your baby's pooping will slow down to 1-2 per day, or even less. But at less than a week old, what she's doing is normal.

Hang in there! I really don't think you should be worried.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You have gotten a ton of advice from previous posters! I just wanted to add and stress it does get so much easier. Definetly get the hands on help. It will probably make a world of difference.

Hang in there mamma! You can do it!

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Hello!

I'm going to move this post to the Newborn forum, in hopes that you can receive more replies.
    Carla
    LLL Leader

awe my oldest had his 19th birthday on the 22nd.....

are your breast engoraged?
    that can make it realy hard for the baby to latch on

try this here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

Were you able to get some help from a LC?
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Hi...I hope you are doing better with nursing. I too am having a hard time but mine is due to overactive letdown. I have seen a lactation consultant on many occasions and it makes all the difference in the world with helping figure things out. Sometimes you think there's no way to fix stuff and they make you look at it a different way and help you understand your baby better. I am so indebted to my L.C. because I would have given up nursing a long time ago if it hadn't been for her. Something you might want to try to help increase your milk supply is fenugreek. its an herb you can get in the health food section of the grocery store. It worked for me. Good luck!