Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still not enough milk, still need help!

Default Still not enough milk, still need help!

Well, I've been doing everything I possibly can, and I still cannot feed my newborn adequately. My baby lost over 12% weight until I started supplementing. Now my baby is up to 3oz formula at a time, and I don't have much milk. It took me three days to make four ounces. I'm taking all sorts of herbs (fenugreek, fennel, hops, barley, blessed thistle, alfalfa) in addition to my normal vitamins. I'm pumping with the Symphony. I've tried pumping one breast and feeding the other, and alternating the next day, suggested by one lactation consultant, then some weeks I try pumping between feedings (both breasts) by another lactation consultant. No matter what I do, I can't keep her fed on my milk alone because I just don't have enough. Weighing her before and after on the baby scales doesn't even register. Is there anything else I can do or try, or am I just stuck with supplementing? Thanks!

Default Re: Still not enough milk, still need help!

How often are you pumping now?

Default Re: Still not enough milk, still need help!

My goal is 12 times in a 24h period, but I don't always meet that. Sometimes she spends 15 at each breast, and then gets topped off with a bottle if she still has hunger signs after I try soothing her. If she doesn't show hunger, and can be soothed or falls asleep, she is up very quickly after showing signs of hunger. Sometimes it takes a very long time to get her soothed or to sleep. But I also need time to eat, drink, pee, and sleep!
    Thanks,
    Kim