Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weird breast issues

Default Weird breast issues

I have a four month old dd who isgaining weight normally and such, so I'm not worried about my supply so much. I have noticed that my right breast is larger than my left, however it seems to make less milk and it all seems to be hindmilk. My left breast seems to make more milk and it is mainly foremilk. When I pump I pump mostly foremilk. I also get about an ounce out of the left breast and only a 1/4 of an ounce out of the right one. I don't know what is going on. Also my right breast is more prone to clogged ducts and had mastitis once (found a way to ward them off though, lecithin.). My dd also seems to prefer my left breast.
    Daughter of God, Wife to my wonderful Hubby, Mama to DD(8-28-08) Angel Baby (8-2-09) and due with DS (7-5-10)!
    We , , and all day long!

Default Re: Weird breast issues

I don't know about the foremilk/hindmilk thing. Hindmilk is really just foremilk+extra fat molecules. I want to reassure you, though, that's its very normal for one breast to be larger than the other and also totally normal for one breast to produce more than the other.

Sounds like your right breast doesn't drain as well as your left, which is why you get the clogged ducts, the mastitis, and also lower supply in this side. Do you use breast compressions at all? Here's some ideas on what might be causing your recurrent clogged ducts:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.