Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, Help!

Default Help, Help!

Okay, here is my background story:
    My daughter is 7 weeks old today. I started bottle feeding from the very beginning in the hospital, which now I regret and here is why. She was admitted to the hospital this weekend for bloody stools. I never actually saw the blood but she just wasn't acting right. She has been on Soy formula from the beginning due to reflux. She is on Prilosec now. She also has been put on a very expensive formula and her GI system is a wreck. We are struggling to buy the formula due to finances. I REALLY want to start nursing. My milk is still there but I don't know where to start. Please if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Default Re: Help, Help!

Have you tried to see if she'll latch on?

Start by renting a hospital grade pump. Double-pump every 2 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night. This way you can start giving her your breastmilk via bottle. Do not be discouraged if you don't get much milk at first. Start with 5 minute sessions and work up to 15 minutes. You will be rewarded for your efforts. Since you have a special situation, contacting your local LLL leader or hiring a lactation consultant will be invaluable.

This excellent video shows you the way to get the most milk when pumping.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Also read kellymom's page on relactation:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; December 26th, 2008 at 01:53 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.