Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menstural cycle while nursing?

Default Menstural cycle while nursing?

I'm 7 weeks pp and I know that your cycle can be absent or be delayed a few months while nursing. I was wondering when or if some moms on here started their periods after birth. My doc said that their waiting for me to have my period before they insert the Mirena IUC. And is it true that your less likely to get pregnant while your nursing?
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Default Re: Menstural cycle while nursing?

double post!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I got my period back around 6 weeks. Right after I got the Mirena. I don't know why you would need to wait....

It is less likely to get PG before your period returns, which BF often delays for quite some time, although you CAN still get pregnant while nursing...here is some more info
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I can't suggest anything regarding birth control - we use a different kind...
    But I got my period back after 3 mo. with the first lo and 6 mo. with the second. I think that bf can delay ovulation, but be careful, because you CAN get pregnant while bf even if your period hasn't started...

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

This is a quote from the source listed by the pp:

Exclusive breastfeeding (by itself) is 98-99.5% effective in preventing pregnancy as long as all of the following conditions are met:

1. Your baby is less than six months old
    2. Your menstrual periods have not yet returned
    3. Baby is breastfeeding on cue (both day & night), and gets nothing but breastmilk or only token amounts of other foods.

Nothing but breastmilk means the baby is nursing at the breast not getting expressed milk from a bottle, etc... If you start giving bottles of expressed milk your menstrual cycles may resume sooner or if you start using a pacifier.

Just my experience, but with ds1 my first postpartum cycle was at around 5 months. I had returned to work so he got expressed milk and a paci. Ds2 AF returned at about 14 months, I was at home so no bottles and he didn't like pacifiers.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

with PP, you CAN get pregnant before you see any sign of AF, im living proof! i have a 5 month old and just found out im expecting #2! i havent had a AF since DS was born.

I think the average is closer to a year to get your period back though

oh and just to add. my DS is 5 months, nurses on demand, gets only breastmilk and like i said i havent seen my period, and i still got pregnant.

ETA: he started sleeping through the night so i think thats what happened, so if your LO starts sleeping long stretches at night or uses a pacifier it may bring your period back sooner.
    Last edited by @llli*kelmareuby; December 26th, 2008 at 07:35 PM.
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Thank you everyone!!! As much as I'm enjoying my son, I am in no hurry to add another.
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

FWIW I didn't get my period back for 14 months! A solid 2 blissful period free years!

My lo is almost 8 months and I haven't had mine return yet. I hope it continues. She uses a pacifier and I work so she gets two bottles of EBM at daycare plus she has started eating solids but not more than like 4oz a day if that. I hope I'm lucky enough to not have mine come back until she is well past a year.
    First time mom to Kaylee
    at work and all other times
    GOAL: 3 months... 6 months... 9 months ...12 months...

I had a very short period at about 3.5-4 weeks PP, and then the first real one at around 8 weeks. Now it is incredibly irregular, because it came again at 10 weeks. I hope it doesn't stay like this!

DS has slept through the night since day one, however, and uses a paci OCCASIONALLY, so I am sure that is why it didn't take long for mine to come back.
    Jorie
    Mother to Cullen Micheal, Oct 8, 2008 7lbs 2 oz

1 Month: 9lbs 8oz!
    2 Months: 10lbs 6oz!
    3 Months: 12lbs 13oz!