Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do poopy diapers count for wet diapers?

Default Do poopy diapers count for wet diapers?

I'm currently having some feeding issues with my dd and want to know if I should be counting poopy diapers in the "5-6 wet diapers in a 24 hour period" thing. Probably a dumb question, but if I can't ask here, I can't ask anywhere. She's 3 months old and has between 1-3 BM's a day.

Default Re: Do poopy diapers count for wet diapers?

Poopy diapers are poopy diapers.

Wet diapers are peepee diapers.

I wouldn't count them as wet diapers unless you can tell that she has peed as well as pooped. Are you concerned that you are not getting enough wets if you don't count them?
    Last edited by @llli*kaitlyns.mom; December 26th, 2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Left something out!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Good question. I've never read anything explaining what to do. I would think if the diaper was really wet and there was a poop too, I would lean toward counting it as both.

Here's some more info on diapers for the older baby:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

My pedi said I could count it as both if it was heavy (like it had pee in it) in addition to having poop.
    Baby Girl born 10/17/08
    birth: 8lb 15 oz
    2 mos: 14 lb 5 oz
    3 mos: 17 lb
    4 mos: 20 lb 1 oz Mama's Milk!!!
    as much as possible at home... at work for my babe

Four months!

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference/ Do you use cloth or disposables? When DS only poops I can totally tell in cloth.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yes, I was concerned about whether she's getting enough to eat. I mean, output is output, right? I read somewhere that babies need not just 5-6 wet diapers, but 5-6 SOPPING wet ones, which was described as about 1/4 cup of water in the diaper. I have a digital scale and weighed them all yesterday. The total came out to be 350g (I found that 1/4 cup of water was 50g) so she made the equivalent of 7 wet diapers, not including her poopy one. Am I obsessive or what?!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*itskristen View Post
    Yes, I was concerned about whether she's getting enough to eat. I mean, output is output, right? I read somewhere that babies need not just 5-6 wet diapers, but 5-6 SOPPING wet ones, which was described as about 1/4 cup of water in the diaper. I have a digital scale and weighed them all yesterday. The total came out to be 350g (I found that 1/4 cup of water was 50g) so she made the equivalent of 7 wet diapers, not including her poopy one. Am I obsessive or what?!
    A little! But you figured it out and I'm sure you feel better now - you do feel better now, right?
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

I do feel a bit better. We've had a rough road breastfeeding and I just want this to pass. I'd do anything for a full month of issue-free breastfeeding. Thanks to everyone for responding!