Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: am I waiting too long to introduce the bottle?

Default am I waiting too long to introduce the bottle?

Hello - my DS is almost 8 weeks old and I will be going back to work when he is about 14 weeks old. I haven't yet introduced a bottle or pumped at all and now I am reading that perhaps I should have by now. He does take a paci.

We supplemeneted my first son right away (i had a previous breast reduction) but this time, my baby is gaining well so I have not needed to supplement. We are really enjoying our nursing relationship, so I have not bothered pumping yet. Am I waiting too long?

We are going to FL next week so I was going to try to pump once we got back when he is 10 weeks old. That will give us a good 4 weeks to work on me pumping (I hate to pump - I have a PIS but I am splurging on a Freestyle) and for the baby to get used to the bottle. Do you guys think this is enough time? I will not have to always pump as I work from home some days and some days my husband may be able to meet us for a lunchtime nursing session.

Thanks!

Default Re: am I waiting too long to introduce the bottle?

you should do ok... since you've pumped before.
    It might take the 4 weeks to increase your supply to where you want it.
    You can do it.
    As far as the bottle some babies don't take it well even with practice.
    ITs cool that your hubby can bring the baby over on lunch break that will give you an advantage!

Thanks! Anyone wait this long and have a smooth breast to bottle transition?

I go back to work in three weeks and last night was the first night we tried to give our son a bottle. He 's 8 weeks on wedn. My boyfriend was excited because he actually took the bottle for about 5 mins (first time daddy got to feed him). Then he didn't want it anymore, but its a start. I was worried if we waited to long too. I'm hoping three weeks is enough time. Good luck!!!
    for over a year now!!!

Xavier 11/5/08

Since you can work from home and/or see the baby sometimes during the day, 4 weeks should be good. You might try taking fenugreek to boost your supply during the 4 weeks so you get as much as possible.

When you go back to work, be sure to schedule your work from home days in the middle of the week if possible. This will limit the days in a row that you have to pump. I work part time and have Wednesdays off - a friend of mine had the same arrangement and for both of us our supply rebounded on Thursdays.

As for taking the bottle, this really depends on the baby. I was really stressed because DS did not seem to take it well at all - only 1-2 oz at a time. My sister said "Relax, if he is hungry he'll take it". Early on when I picked DS up from daycare, the DCP showed me - "Look - look how he just chews on the bottle." And I was like "Oh my god, he's not eating enough, this is horrible". And she said "No - I just wanted to show you. He's breastfed, this is what I would expect. He'll get what he needs". She's been in business for 18 years so after that I didn't worry. I guess I was just used to seeing formula-fed babies gulp it down. So - hopefully this helps.

We took a chance and didn't introduce the bottle until I went back to work. She took it fine, but once I came home from work while she was taking a bottle and she didn't want anyting to do with it once she saw me. Maybe your boyfriend could try giving your lo a bottle when you're not around. This seems to work better for a lot of babies.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!