Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back at work...a few worries for LO

Unhappy back at work...a few worries for LO

Hi Ladies.

I started back at work this week. I have been pumping since we got home from the hospital in October. My LO is almost 13 weeks old. I commute about 60 miles to work and I have a few concerns about my LO.

I have a freezer stash since Oct 25. Should I feed my LO with the fresh milk I pump daily first or the freezer stash?

Will my LO get confused if he is being bottle fed 3 times a day and breastfeeding at night?

I'm also pumping 2 times at work, would my supply decrease?

And lastly, is it this hard to leave LO at home when you go back to work?

Thanks.

Default Re: back at work...a few worries for LO

It is hard to leave them!

I don't have definitive answers, but I can tell you my experience. What I normally did was pump twice a day, and then combine the milk and freeze it in 4-ounce increments (smaller when he was younger--4 ounces at a time by the time I stopped pumping, around 10 months). He never had a hard time adjusting to bottles during the day and nursing when I was home (he was 8 weeks old when I went back to work).

Usually what I did was leave a bottle in the refrigerator with whatever he would have that morning (I was able to be home for lunch to nurse), and then freeze whatever was left. His dad pretty much took care of the freezing part when he thought it was time (he was home with his dad while I worked, so he was able to gauge what he'd drink).

Good luck!! It's an adjustment, but you will figure it out.

ETA: My supply didn't decrease--forgot to include that.

and YES it is that hard! But it gets easier as they get older and if you find someplace where they love being!

I don't know if 2x per day pumping is enough until I know how long you are gone during the day. I was gone from 7 weeks and I pumped 4x, then wittled down from there. I was told that at that age you should empty both breasts (pumping or nursing 7-8x per day to maintain supply).

Lo is old enough that they should have any nipple confusion.

GL
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Oh, that's a good point about length of time away and pumping twice. I was away from 8-12 (pumped once during that time), then nursed at 12, then gone from 1-5 (pumped once during that time). And I don't know if this is an option for you, but sometimes his dad brought him to my office for a feeding if pumping wasn't going well.

I bf LO before i leave the house at 6 or 6:30. I don't see him till about 5 or 6. Should I be pumping more than 2 times? Will my supply decrease?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*trangxln View Post
    I bf LO before i leave the house at 6 or 6:30. I don't see him till about 5 or 6. Should I be pumping more than 2 times? Will my supply decrease?
    hmmm, if it were me I would at this point. I'd work in one more session to ensure supply is maintained. Also many women notice their pumping output decreases so the extra session can't hurt!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I agree--if I could, I'd try to pump maybe say at 9, 12, and 3, to keep feeding times pretty consistent. If there's just no way to do 3, I'd probably try maybe 10 and 2 (that's strictly me, going by what worked for me though).

Yes, it is VERY hard to leave them at first...but in time, it gets easier!! hang in there momma!

I would definitely pump at least 3 times. I pumped 3 times a day up until a few weeks ago, and my LO is almost 8 months. I did see a decrease in supply by going down to 2 sessions a day, though. Not to say that this WILL happen to you, but it did to me!

Good for you for keeping up with it while you are going back to work. I won't lie to you, it does take extra time and work, but it is SO WORTH IT!! You are doing a great job!
    for 1 year ! We are fully weaned... . We kicked deadbeat dad to curb and rocking 2010 on our own! It is what it is!

May 16, 2008

I went back to work when my DD was 12weeks. She had no problems taking a bottle during the day and nursing at night. She was away from me from 7am-5pm and I pumped 3x's a day. I was able to pump 12-14oz total each day of which DD drank 12oz.

It is hard leaving your LO each day, but it does get easier. I did find that as LO got older it got both harder and easier...harder as she became more interactive and we could engage in play together and yet easier on days when she throws tantrums or is just plain crabby and I'm happy the sitter gets to deal with that!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Good luck momma, I have been back at work a few months. It is hard, some days harder and some days I run out the door.
    I would advise to pump as much as you can.. I do 3x while I am at work for 8 hours. (every 3 hours) If you can do it, I would. Also, I would just use what you pump at work for the next days feeding. You will need your stash if you ever have a dip in supply, or any other unforseen circumstances. ( I was fine with supply pumping 3x a day, then AF came back and I had to use freezer stash) Anyway, I wish you the best... take lots of pictures to work with you.