Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refuses to BF

Default Refuses to BF

DS is 4 months old and I've been back at work FT for 2 months. I've been pumping three times a day (~21 oz) and then bf at home. Lately though ds has been showing a strong preference for the bottle. I try to bf and he screams. I want him to eat so I pump and dh gives him the bottle. He will always bf at night for some reason so I get at least 2 sessions in a day. I mentioned this to my pediatrician at the 4 month checkup and he said that ds is punishing me for not being there during the day and that all babies who are fed from the bottle and breast will eventually go 100% to the botltle. This was a really frightening prospect for me, so I asked if he thought I could keep up my supply by pumping more than three times a day and he said no, that soon I'd have to start mixing formula and bm. I've had a little success lately getting ds back to bf using some techniques on this site and others but he still refuses quite a bit. Any thoughts to share? Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Lycia; August 19th, 2006 at 11:31 AM.

Default Re: Refuses to BF

UGHH!! I'm sure your Pedi has a ton of experience pumping!! Don't listen to him. Pediatricians who are being wined and dined by formula companies who have goods to peddle and then peddle them to Mothers who trust their Pedis above all else....and the formula cycle continues!!! Don't buy into to what he's saying. You DO NOT have to supplement. It's true your baby may be punishing you. Or maybe he's striking. Strikes don't last forever. But you have to be consistent about offering the breast. Also try to offer it more on the weekends when you are together more.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing. If your home together and it's time to eat and he refuses, you pump. So your body is still getting the same # of signals as it always has. Did I interpet that correctly?
    If you are concerned about your supply you can pump another time during the day but I don't know if you need to if you are pumping everytime he needs to eat anyway and your making enough for when your not together. Congratulations to you for your dedication!!! Don't listen to your Pediatrician. he might actually think you have supplement but that's because that's what the formula companies told him. You are doing great!

I don't think your little one is trying to punish you. I think he may suffering from nipple confusion or nipple preference. Since the flow from a bottle is faster and less work than breastfeeding.

I think you may want to explore alterate feeding methods. Since your little one is a bit older, perhaps he can drink from a sipply cup? I found this article that may be helpful to you:

http://www.kjsl.net/%7Ecee/confuse.htm

Keep trying to get him back to the breast. A local LLL Leader would be a great resource for ideas & encouragement.

I also wanted to mention that there are women who exclusively pump for a year. Try not to get too stressed about that just yet.

Welcome, Lycia. I'm glad you found us here!
    I'm horrified by the input you received from your pediatrician. Quite simply, it's just plain wrong. There is no basis in truth for anything that was told to you. Your LO is NOT punishing you. It simply is not in the skill-set of a 4month old to understand and manipulate that way. The previous poster who said that it's likely your baby is having some nipple confusion or just is getting use to the 'easier' way of eating from a bottle is likely on target. It is important to keep trying to have your baby to the breast and encourage him to feed that way. Simulate the conditions you use before bedtime - darkened room, rocking chair, peaceful music; whatever works to relax and comfort him. Keep him used to it. You might also want to see when the last feeding happens with the day care provider. If it's pretty soon before when you retrieve your son, you could consider asking that they hold off so that you can feed him immediatly upon seeing him. Sometimes that can work as a good "reconnect". Obviously, if this will space out the feedings too far, you won't want to do that.

I absolutely agree with trying to talk with an LLL leader in your area for some one-on-one advice. And again, no need to stress to much about whether or not you'll be able to keep pumping long enough. Chances are more than good that you'll be FINE if you have to go that route - but you are indeed a LONG way from having to worry about that. Keep trying. When you are home - weekends, etc., keep encouraging baby to the breast. Get him on there BEFORE he is frantically hungry so he isn't frustrated by having to work for the 30 seconds or so it takes to get that milk flowing.

Keep us posted...........good luck....
    -linda

My DS attemped to do the same thing after I returned to work at about the same age, my pediatrician was much more encouraging however one of the suggestions that I think helped the most was making sure the nipples I was using in my bottle were newborn nipples so he had to work just as hard to feed from the bottle as he did the breast. After I switched nipples and he had to put the same effort into either one he then took his EBM easily during the day and BF with no confusion at night.

Good luck!

Smile Re: Refuses to BF

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies. You've given me a lot of hope. I'll try all of your suggestions for nudging ds back to the breast. He bf well two times during the day today and that's better than none. I appreciate that you mentioned that you know people who pumped for a year because I feel like even in the worst-case scenario, where he does abandon bf alltogether, I'll still be able to provide some if not all of his milk.

Lycia

Lightbulb Re: Refuses to BF

When my son got the 'nipple preference' I just mad ehim eat from me when I was home. He would fuss and turn away and I elimenated all distractions as well as anticipated his feedings. Also remember the more you pump at work the more you will produce. I 'cluster pumped' when he was cluster feeding and when I feel my supply is low. I just remind my boss that there are people who take twice as much time to smoke as I do pumping at least mine is healthy!