Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: his first Xmas and he is sick..need advice

Default his first Xmas and he is sick..need advice

My lo is sick with the cold (fever on/off, sneezing, runny nose,runny eyes..). in the past 24-36 hours, he has been breastfeeding less often and for shorther periods. He is still making 1-2 poopy a day, but he is peeing less often (only 4-5 vs the 7-8 usually).
    I was wondering if i needed to pump to maintain a supply after he feeds.. and how often... yesturday i pumped twice ( 3 onces each time )...?

can a 3-4 days of him less feeding without pumping affect my supply? or will he catch up once he feels better?

thank you for you input
    Mother to 2 beautiful angels
    (born on the 27th of January 2006) our little drama King
    ( Born on the 23rd of August 2008) our new addition!
    At birth: 7lbs and 13 onces, 2 weeks: 8lbs and 10 ounces, 1 month: 11 lbs, 2 month:14 lbs, 4 month 17 lbs 10 onces

and and sometimes when too tired

Just discovered cloth !

Default Re: his first Xmas and he is sick..need advice

I'm sorry your lo is sick on Christmas day.

I actually found that when my lo was stuffed up and nursed less, I got engorged and had over supply issues.

If you are regularly feeding your lo - you shouldn't need to pump, and your supply should catch up.

Have you had supply issues along the way or with your other babies?

You could drink some organic mother's milk tea during this time, too. It helps to boost supply if you need it.

Let us know how it goes - hope your baby feels better soon!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Thanks for quick respond!

I dont have supply issue usually, but since yesterday I do feel my breast more engorged since he does not drink for very long.
    Also, I never use to have "leaky breast", but since he is sick, they drip quite often ( when it happens then I pump a bit).
    I dont have mother's milk, but I will try to get some ( do you know where you buy this, natural product? drug store? )

I forgot to say that we do spray his nose with saline before his feeding to make sure he breath better ( it makes him soo made poor thing! )
    At birth: 7lbs and 13 onces, 2 weeks: 8lbs and 10 ounces, 1 month: 11 lbs, 2 month:14 lbs, 4 month 17 lbs 10 onces

Just discovered cloth !

Oh, poor baby! Yes, when he starts feeling better he'll probably want to nurse a lot and he'll bring your supply back where it needs to be. It shouldn't cause any lasting harm to your milk supply.

I hope he feels better soon!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

You can find it at a health food store (like Whole Foods) or an all natural section of a drug store....But....

If you are getting engorged and leaking, then I wouldn't take the mother's milk tea. It might make you feel more uncomfortable and just make your baby frustrated because it will make you produce more milk and he won't be able to take it in (if he is still congested).

have you tried having him sit in the car seat or baby chair while one of you is in the shower? the mist from the shower can help a lot.

A humidifier helps, too.

Sorry he is feeling so yucky.

Hope you stay healthy.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Great tips !!
    thanks for help!

Just discovered cloth !

Oh...I thought of one more thing. You may want to get that tea for after he starts nursing regularly again. You probably won't need it, but in case he nurses like a mad man after he feels better and it takes your body a little bit to catch up, you might want it.

Looks like you have a toddler, too?? Is that little boy still nursing? If not, you can give him the extra you pump off in a sippy cup or in his food to protect him from any illness. That's what I've done.

Take care and hope you all stay well!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months