Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goats Milk?

Exclamation Goats Milk?

Hello Ladies,
    I'm currently having a rough time with my supply lately and I have a friend who stopped BF her LO when she was 4 months old (her choice) and then did not put her LO on formula but she fed her LO a mixture of goats milk and carrot juice. Has anyone ever heard of this. What's the difference between goats milk and cows milk and can a baby under a year tolerate it? My LO is 8 months old and I know I'm not supposed to introduce cows milk until after a year old. So far I've been pumping after every feeding and getting anywhere from 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce. I fed him what I've pumped over the course of the day before bed time since I'm all tapped out by then. I'm trying to get him to eat more solids but he really isn't all that interested in them now. Thanks in advance, you ladies are the best!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

Default Re: Goats Milk?

Supposedly goat's milk is supposed to be closer to human milk than cow's milk is. My MIL was hell bent on the fact that I should supplement with goat's milk, because she did with her kids (this really made no sense since I had no supply issues). She wouldn't get off of it and talked about it constantly no matter how much I ignored her. My hubby then brought it up once in front of the pedi, and the pedi said that goat's milk is really not all that great. He said that it does not have the nutritional requirements needed for an infant under 1 year (so you should supplement with formula if you need to) and isn't really that good after 1 year either. He said that cow's milk is a better option after age 1 since it is fortified with vitamins A & D.

I am a HUGE proponent of goat's milk. I had to stop nursing my first baby when he was 10 mo. because I got pregnant and my milk supply dried up. We used goat's milk for him from 10 months until about 18 months when he stopped drinking much milk altogether. He LOVED it! He is an extremely healthy 2 year old who hardly ever gets even a sniffle and he is a GREAT eater. He couldn't digest cow's milk - when we tried, he would wake up in the middle of the night screaming with stomach pain. But goat's milk never gave him a second of trouble. I plan to use goat's milk when I stop nursing my second baby (which won't be any time soon!). We actually found milk straight from the goat - not pasturized - which I know is controversial, but we never had any trouble with it. Goat's milk is extremely healthy and actually has more vitamins and minerals than cow's milk. There is an excellent article about goat's milk on the web site askdrsears.com. Sorry, I don't know how to link, but if you go to that web site and type in Goat's milk in the search box you will find it right away. Good luck with your supply - and if you have anymore questions about goat's milk, feel free to private message me.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Interesting! Generally, formula is better as a primary source of nutrition than anything besides breast milk, but it sounds like you're thinking of goat's milk in addition to and not as a substitution for breastmilk, right?

Here's the article on Dr. Sears' website that eelme mentioned.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Yes...generally, I was thinking of it as in addition to breast milk, not to replace the breast milk. Although to be perfectly honest, I was thinking of it as a replacement for formula. I've never used formula with either of my babies and have not done any research on formula vs. goat's milk. I'm also NOT a doctor or an LC so this is all just my humble opinion. However, when I couldn't provide breast milk for my 10 mo. old anymore, we gave him goat's milk, not formula and he was getting 3-4 bottles a day (I can't remember how many ounces???). Of course at that point, he was eating solids and taking some baby vitamins, etc.

I also had a friend who had to supplement her milk supply with her first baby after 7 weeks of breast feeding - and she chose to use goat's milk in addition to breast milk, instead of supplementing with formula. Her little girl is now 6 years old, quite healthy and honesty is healthier than her two little brothers who were also breast fed for a time and supplemented with goat milk.

Anyway, I think it is interesting, too. JMHO.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Yeah, I was meaning in combination with breastmilk. I breast feed throughout the day but it is that feeding right before bedtime that my LO is so dissatisfied with. I do not have enough milk for him at that time and he sure lets me know it! I was thinking of maybe supplementing with 1-2 ounces of (formula or goats milk) at the most at night before bedtime. The rest of his nighttime meal would be the breastmilk that I've pumped after his feedings during the day. Thank for your replies- they have been very interesting to read!

Also with & due 11/23/11

Are you sure that you don't have enough milk? Or is it just a slower let down? I know that for a while in the evenings, I was having a slower let down - and that made my lo so mad! But eventually, she learned how to get out the milk. Sometimes she would fall asleep after a little bit of fussing and wake up a couple hours later - and nurse - and then go back to sleep for the rest of the night. Anyway, there are things that you can do to help with a slow let down so that you don't have to supplement.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Slow let down could be it. I just thought I had low to no milk at that time of the day because if I try and hand express I get nothing(or maybe the smallest drop). When my LO is trying to feed then there is sucking but I do not hear him swallow. How do you improve your let down, or milk supply at that time of the day? My goal is to get my supply up without supplementing if possible.
    Last edited by @llli*collinsmom; December 25th, 2008 at 06:24 PM.

Also with & due 11/23/11

Well, if you've had a good milk supply all along and nothing has changed, then you might just have slow let down. How has your milk supply been all along?

Has your son changed his pattern in the last couple of weeks? Started eating solid foods or sleeping longer at night?

Have you had a hormonal change? I know when I started my period my supply dropped quite a bit with both babies. With my first, it came back at three mo. With this baby, not until 6 mo.

Anyway, if it is really low supply, you can check out the Increasing Your Milk section of this forum - there a plenty of supplements you can try that help alot (Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, oatmeal, drinking water, Mother's Milk Tea)

If it is just a slower let down, you can try breast compressions while feeding, or try different nursing positions. I also would catch my lo while she was near the end of her nap and feed her while she was asleep or very sleepy. then she wouldn't care about the slower let down and would just let the milk come when it came.

Eventually, she changed her nursing to match my milk flow and was happy again. Hope that helps and let me know if you have more questions. I've been through the same thing and it is very frustrating to have to supplement, especially if you can just adjust your milk to have enough.

Good luck!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Exclamation Re: Goats Milk?

Hormonal change is an understatement!! Well I know why my milk isn't what it should be.....I'm PREGNANT!!!!! I can't believe it. Now it all makes sense as to why my milk has dropped so much. I had a great supply up until a month ago and now I'm speechless. Will it continue to decline during my pregnancy?

Also with & due 11/23/11