Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing through the stomach flu

Thumbs down Nursing through the stomach flu

We have a vicious case of the stomach flu in our house. It started with dd1. I got it last night, and am feeling somewhat better after a lot of vommiting. DH has it worse than me, and now dd2 who is almost 4 months has it. The best thing I can do is to continue to nurse through this mess right?

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Default Re: Nursing through the stomach flu

Yes, it's the absolute best thing you can do for your baby. Breastmilk is full of antibodies that will fight the illness in your baby, and it's nutritious, and being at the breast can be very soothing for a baby who has an upset tum. If you do call the doctor's office, there's a chance that you may be told to switch your baby to Pedialyte for the duration of her illness. If you get this advice, don't follow it! If your baby is willing to nurse, breastmilk is much better for her than Pedialyte- it's more nutritious, and it is considered a clear liquid. Being denied the breast can also be very upsetting to a baby who is already not feeling well.

Breastfeeding can definitely be hard on a mom who isn't feeling well. Do try to take best of care of yourself, and make sure you keep drinking because it's easy to become dehydrated.

I hope you and your family all feel better soon!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Yes, it's the absolute best thing you can do for your baby. Breastmilk is full of antibodies that will fight the illness in your baby, and it's nutritious, and being at the breast can be very soothing for a baby who has an upset tum. If you do call the doctor's office, there's a chance that you may be told to switch your baby to Pedialyte for the duration of her illness. If you get this advice, don't follow it! If your baby is willing to nurse, breastmilk is much better for her than Pedialyte- it's more nutritious, and it is considered a clear liquid. Being denied the breast can also be very upsetting to a baby who is already not feeling well.

Breastfeeding can definitely be hard on a mom who isn't feeling well. Do try to take best of care of yourself, and make sure you keep drinking because it's easy to become dehydrated.

I hope you and your family all feel better soon!!!

From Kellymom:
    Anytime a sick baby is able to take anything by mouth, it should be his mother's milk. Mom's milk provides antibodies specifically tailored to fight baby's illness, and is quickly and easily digested.
    Breastfeeding should be the FIRST choice if your child can take anything by mouth. Because of the ease and rapidity with which breastmilk is digested, even if your child vomits or stools shortly after nursing, he will still have retained some of the nutrients. Other foods that are often suggested (such as Pedialyte, sports drinks, gelatins and sodas) offer little nutritional value and none of the antibodies that human milk contains.

When your breastfed child is ill you'll want to offer more frequent feedings -- this can limit the volume taken in at one time and helps to comfort and soothe a sick child. If your child is vomiting often and not keeping the milk down for long, it may be helpful to breastfeed frequently but limit the length of each nursing session (so your child takes in less milk at once). Another option is for Mom to express some milk before breastfeeding so that the milk flow is slower. RARELY does the baby who is allowed to breastfeed at will during a vomiting or diarrhea illness become dehydrated.
    Here's the link. Hope you are all feeling better very soon!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thanks! I wasn't planning on calling our pedi because she is due to have a baby any day now and has started her leave. I figured that if I have to talk to one of the family doctors they would tell me to do Pedilyte, which I wasn't going to do even if they told me to. Hopefully this will pass. It couldn't have been worse timing. We have cancelled all of our Christmas plans.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post

From Kellymom:

Here's the link. Hope you are all feeling better very soon!
    Thanks for the link. I was pretty sure I was supposed to continue bf. It's just always nice for a little reassurance.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

I'm sorry Mama
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

We had the stomach virus at our house last week, but the baby didn't get it. I think it was due to bfing. Keep up the nursing and feel better soon!
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

You're doing great, but it's sure hard on the mama!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png