Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping it going over Christmas

Default Re: Keeping it going over Christmas

Hi there,
    Sounds like you are doing great. One suggestion that my Dr. gave me, which seems so obvious now, is to nurse her at any sign of fussiness even if it's just a whimper. This will maybe be that last push to help get her off of the supplements. I know how hard it is to manage having a real life and this whole supplementing routine. It plays a huge role in making this situation so hard. I would just stick to your guns and continue with the progress you are making. I hope everything goes well.

I just wanted to encourage you that you are doing a great job. It's hard now, but taking a sick baby to the doctor of ER is hard, also - which is less likely to happen if you stick with bf and bm. I understand trying to please family - it's tough, especially if they live far away. Could you try to let them know ahead of time that certain times of the day you and your baby will need to be "tucked away" for feedings and let them play extra and hold the baby extra during the other times of the day? Maybe they could plan something different to do while you are feeding the evenings - extra time with DH shopping or movies, or sight seeing, etc. I know it's not fun that you would have to miss that, but if it's only for this year??? Let us know how it goes!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    When I was using a SNS, there were 3 different widths of tubing available. I also found a way to get the milk to come out alot faster. There is 1 tube for each breast, so 2 tubes. When your baby is nursing at your right breast, the left tube is pinched off, right? Well the only problem with this, is as the milk needs to come out of the bottle, air needs to be able to get back into the bottle. If the air can't get in, you end up with a vaccuum and milk comes out real slow.

So what I did was to unpinch the un-used tube and throw it over my shoulder, that way air could get it in. It turned 45 minute feedings into 10 minute feedings. Hope that helps!

Incidentally, one of my lactation consultant's clients was supplementing via SNS. The baby went in for a checkup and the doctor told her to increase the amount of supplement. My lactation consultant's simple advice was to offer the breast more often, such as before the baby showed signs of hunger. Not only was she able to avoid increasing the supplement, but was able to get rid of the supplement all-together. I have found that nursing/pumping very frequently in the morning increases my milk supply in the evenings.
    I gave that a go the last couple of days...she feeds more quickly and takes a bit more formula too. Problem is, she seems to be more gassy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xerex View Post
    Hi there,
    Sounds like you are doing great. One suggestion that my Dr. gave me, which seems so obvious now, is to nurse her at any sign of fussiness even if it's just a whimper. This will maybe be that last push to help get her off of the supplements. I know how hard it is to manage having a real life and this whole supplementing routine. It plays a huge role in making this situation so hard. I would just stick to your guns and continue with the progress you are making. I hope everything goes well.
    I usually do feed at anytime she's looking hungry and that generally means she doesn't go any more than an hour between feeding. Unfortunately, that's what makes it difficult with visitors...I can come down from feeding and in as little as 15 min later have to go back up again. I guess that suggests that she doesn't take her fill at any given feeding but it's so hard to tell!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    I just wanted to encourage you that you are doing a great job. It's hard now, but taking a sick baby to the doctor of ER is hard, also - which is less likely to happen if you stick with bf and bm. I understand trying to please family - it's tough, especially if they live far away. Could you try to let them know ahead of time that certain times of the day you and your baby will need to be "tucked away" for feedings and let them play extra and hold the baby extra during the other times of the day? Maybe they could plan something different to do while you are feeding the evenings - extra time with DH shopping or movies, or sight seeing, etc. I know it's not fun that you would have to miss that, but if it's only for this year??? Let us know how it goes!
    Thanks for your encouragement....from my view point, I have no problem with the 'hassles' of feeding her. I'd rather stay in and feed her than go out most of the time. It is a precious time and it will seem no time before she doesn't need me anymore so I'm making the most of it. It's just balancing the life that has to go on around it....That leads me to my new concern....

I'm thinking of having a second child fairly soon if all goes well. I don't know how I'll manage feeding like this with a toddler to care for too...I guess that's a subject for another thread when the time comes.
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

I have a 2 year old and a 6 mo. old. Please feel free to private message me with questions as I had all the same concerns...it was hard to bf the infant with the toddler but not impossible.

Hope you are doing well!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elelou View Post
    I usually do feed at anytime she's looking hungry and that generally means she doesn't go any more than an hour between feeding. Unfortunately, that's what makes it difficult with visitors...I can come down from feeding and in as little as 15 min later have to go back up again. I guess that suggests that she doesn't take her fill at any given feeding but it's so hard to tell!
    I think some babies like to graze. This reminds me of my LO, which is why my annoying FIL constantly makes comments about why she has to eat so much. I don't know that it necessarily means she didn't get her fill. My LO is very clear when she's done and it doesn't stop her from wanting more 15 minutes later sometimes. Maybe it's not even hunger sometimes, just wants to nurse for fun or for comfort.

I gave that a go the last couple of days...she feeds more quickly and takes a bit more formula too. Problem is, she seems to be more gassy with it.
    Hmm. The SNS I had, there was 3 different thicknesses of tubes and also you could adjust the height of the bottle to change the flow rate. It took some experimenting to find the right speed. If he allows, you can treat a feeding as a 3-course meal and burp him after each course. I wish I had better advice, both my babies were gassy but it didn't seem to bother them much.

Hope your Christmas went well!
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thank you for your replies....

Things have been going pretty well. I didn't resort to bottles and my relatives were understanding on the whole. I felt like I spent a lot of time in my room but having a DS lite for Christmas helped as well as DVDs to watch and some books.

She did eat more formula but only 4oz per day on average. She has also stopped sleeping well at night. That may be due to shortened feedings during the day. I wasn't aware of it but I guess I usually just have her latched a lot of the day when no one's about. I first thought that changing to wider tubes on the SNS was responsible for gassiness...it was very painful for her but it may in fact be a change in my diet. I love Brussels sprouts and only eat them at christmas due to the effect they have on me . I guess they are no better for her either! I'm hoping that the effect will die off soon as I've stopped eating them.

Anyhow, I have a few more visits to cope with over the next few weeks but I think that these will be easier guests. In the meantime, I'm hoping for a good weigh in in the new year so that I can continue to cut the supplementation.

Glad to hear your Christmas went well.

I wasn't aware of it but I guess I usually just have her latched a lot of the day when no one's about.
    I remember this too with DS when my mom visited. She was like 'you're feeding him AGAIN?' Yes, mom. I didn't realize he was nursing round the block. Anyway...

I love Brussels sprouts and only eat them at christmas due to the effect they have on me . I guess they are no better for her either! I'm hoping that the effect will die off soon as I've stopped eating them.
    I haven't had those in years. They're bitter where I live. Hope your LO gets over her gassiness soon!

Won't it be exciting when you can toss your SNS!
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I remember this too with DS when my mom visited. She was like 'you're feeding him AGAIN?' Yes, mom. I didn't realize he was nursing round the block. Anyway...
    Fortunately, Eleanor is a slim but very alert/healthy looking baby. When FIL made a comment of do you HAVE to feed her that often I was able to say that it was working so I'd stick with it. Not really a lot he could say to that!

I haven't had those in years. They're bitter where I live. Hope your LO gets over her gassiness soon!
    2 days with no sprouts and she's sleeping through again