Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping it going over Christmas

Default Keeping it going over Christmas

We've been doing fairly well over the last few weeks. Using the SNS for all supplementation has resulted in using just 3oz formula a day on average. But as I've posted before, for me, the SNS is sometimes difficult. I'm starting to worry about how I'm going to keep it going over the Christmas period. We have family up to stay. I can BF in front of my family but not my in-laws (they are lovely people but very old fashioned and I respect that). I don't feel comfortable with using the SNS at all in front of any of my visitors as she's off and on all the time and so there's no way of being discrete. In addition to the 3oz formula she gets, I pump and supplement with the pumped milk (usually another 4-5oz). It takes her such a long time to 'eat' with the SNS that from about 3pm when I need to start supplementing, she's on it for hours at a time until she goes to sleep at about 10pm.

I don't want to be confined to my room for that long and I don't want to give a bottle. My family kind of understand my desire to BF but in their opinion, 'the odd bottle won't hurt'. Not to mention the 'I gave you solids from 1 month!!'. Of course my unwillingness to give any until 6 months is the same as saying that my mum did it wrong. Also they will be here to see Eleanor and as we live away, get little chance. I want them to have every chance to bond with her. All in all, I'll have visitors for a week.

Any suggestions?...eg would night (dream) feeding rather than pumping cut down some of the supplementation? Is there some way that I can make her take more and so have a bit of a break between feeds in the evening? Would using the wider tubing be better for a while so that she drinks quicker..I don't want her to get even lazier.

Thanks for your help!
    Cloth diaper using mummy to Eleanor Louise (born 4th Aug 2008)
    Expecting #2 on my birthday 15th March 2011.

Default Re: Keeping it going over Christmas

3oz a day suppliments is a very small ammount...
    your doing a great job
    ITs ok to excuse yourself and feed baby. IF they don't like it tough beans.
    have you tried breast compression?
    That can keep the baby at the breast longer.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    have you tried breast compression?
    That can keep the baby at the breast longer.
    Thanks for your encouragement.
    Yes, I have tried compression but she unlatches if I do...to see what I'm doing I think. She's quite efficient at BFing anyhow but very slow with SNS...keeps unlatching and pulling the tube off or sucks really gently

So you're supplementing with about 3 oz of formula per day, and 4-5 oz of expressed milk? That's really a small amount of supplement, and I think you're really, really close to being able to phase out the supplementation and the SNS altogether. In fact, I'm willing to bet that you could stop supplementing now.

I know it's really hard to keep up with a demanding pumping/nursing/supplementing routine when you have family in the house. I hate to say "Suck it up and deal" but you're SO close to getting the supplement/SNS/pump monkey off your back that it might be worth it, even at the cost of a not-so-much-fun Christmas... But that's easy to say and hard to do. If you want to dream-feed your baby, I'm sure that would help reduce the amount you need to supplement.

One other thing that might really be helpful would be to get your husband on board with your breastfeeding goal, so that if you retire to the bedroom for a marathon feeding session and people start getting snarky, he can stand up and say "Hey, elelou is working incredibly hard to do what we both feel is right for our child. We might not be doing things the way you think they should be done, but I need you to respect her determination and not say things that will make her feel bad. She needs your unconditional support right now."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When I finally 'bit the bullet' to drop my last 2 oz of supplement it was right after Christmas, and iI was not using an SNS, but it went way better than I had expected....looking back I think it would have been easier than sitting in a room pumping while a relative fed DS a bottle incorretly (letting the nipple fill with air ) then staying up all night with a gassy baby

also just an fyi, my MIL who was the most unsuportive of me BF is now my biggst supporter, she constantly says how happy and healthy he is and attributes it to our long bf relationship almost 14 months

you are doing wonderful mama, this too shall pass
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

with mommal. You have worked so hard to BF your DD. *I* wouldn't want to risk that in order to avoid ruffling a few feathers. It's hard when your parents/in-laws did things differently, but hey, we know so much more now than we did then. All any Mama can do is make the best choices for her family with the infoation that is available to her at the time.

I also think that having hubby on board is essential. Especially if these are his parents. They don't have to understand or agree with it, but they DO have to respect it. Your baby, your choices.

And don't worry about bonding with baby. They will get the time they get with her. It's hard when relatives live far away (this is true of my own family so I speak from experience), forcing the time won't make anyone any happier and DD isn't going to "remember" them in any concious way for some many months. The best way for them to forge a bond with your lo is regular contact via email, letters, skype, phone etc.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your holidays!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    So you're supplementing with about 3 oz of formula per day, and 4-5 oz of expressed milk? That's really a small amount of supplement, and I think you're really, really close to being able to phase out the supplementation and the SNS altogether. In fact, I'm willing to bet that you could stop supplementing now.

I know it's really hard to keep up with a demanding pumping/nursing/supplementing routine when you have family in the house. I hate to say "Suck it up and deal" but you're SO close to getting the supplement/SNS/pump monkey off your back that it might be worth it, even at the cost of a not-so-much-fun Christmas... But that's easy to say and hard to do. If you want to dream-feed your baby, I'm sure that would help reduce the amount you need to supplement.

One other thing that might really be helpful would be to get your husband on board with your breastfeeding goal, so that if you retire to the bedroom for a marathon feeding session and people start getting snarky, he can stand up and say "Hey, elelou is working incredibly hard to do what we both feel is right for our child. We might not be doing things the way you think they should be done, but I need you to respect her determination and not say things that will make her feel bad. She needs your unconditional support right now."
    I'd love to ditch the SNS. Last clinic showed no weight gain. It was only a week since the previous clinic because of the coming holidays. I'm not concerned but I'd have liked to have seen a little gain before stopping supplementation as we only recently dropped from 8oz to 3oz. Hoping that we'll have the go ahead at the next weigh in january.

I'm sure you're right to say suck it up and deal. I'm happy to spend the time out with LO in a purely selfish way but then I feel torn. A word from DH will be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    When I finally 'bit the bullet' to drop my last 2 oz of supplement it was right after Christmas, and iI was not using an SNS, but it went way better than I had expected....looking back I think it would have been easier than sitting in a room pumping while a relative fed DS a bottle incorretly (letting the nipple fill with air ) then staying up all night with a gassy baby

also just an fyi, my MIL who was the most unsuportive of me BF is now my biggst supporter, she constantly says how happy and healthy he is and attributes it to our long bf relationship almost 14 months

you are doing wonderful mama, this too shall pass
    Great to hear that you were successful! I hope to get there v soon.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post

And don't worry about bonding with baby. They will get the time they get with her. It's hard when relatives live far away (this is true of my own family so I speak from experience), forcing the time won't make anyone any happier and DD isn't going to "remember" them in any concious way for some many months. The best way for them to forge a bond with your lo is regular contact via email, letters, skype, phone etc.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your holidays!
    You're so right. Just wish it was more straightforward!

It takes her such a long time to 'eat' with the SNS that from about 3pm when I need to start supplementing, she's on it for hours at a time until she goes to sleep at about 10pm.
    When I was using a SNS, there were 3 different widths of tubing available. I also found a way to get the milk to come out alot faster. There is 1 tube for each breast, so 2 tubes. When your baby is nursing at your right breast, the left tube is pinched off, right? Well the only problem with this, is as the milk needs to come out of the bottle, air needs to be able to get back into the bottle. If the air can't get in, you end up with a vaccuum and milk comes out real slow.

So what I did was to unpinch the un-used tube and throw it over my shoulder, that way air could get it in. It turned 45 minute feedings into 10 minute feedings. Hope that helps!

Incidentally, one of my lactation consultant's clients was supplementing via SNS. The baby went in for a checkup and the doctor told her to increase the amount of supplement. My lactation consultant's simple advice was to offer the breast more often, such as before the baby showed signs of hunger. Not only was she able to avoid increasing the supplement, but was able to get rid of the supplement all-together. I have found that nursing/pumping very frequently in the morning increases my milk supply in the evenings.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; December 26th, 2008 at 01:26 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.