Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which breast pump is best for me?

Default Which breast pump is best for me?

Hi everyone!

I'm pregnant, and preparing for breastfeeding in the future. I'll have to return to work as a teacher when my baby is three months old, and will probably only have one break (albeit a long one--two hours) in the middle of the day. So I'll probably only be able to pump once, I'm guessing? I know I'll need a hands-free electric pump that hooks onto a bra. On the other hand, we don't have much money, and I can't exactly afford an industrial-strength pump. Which pumps do you ladies use, if you use them? Can anyone in a similar situation recommend a reasonably priced, good pump for me? And is buying a used pump bad?

Thanks,
    Chris

Default Re: Which breast pump is best for me?

I know there are some other teacher mom's on here that can help you with some scheduling ideas, if you had a two hour break I'd pump at the beginning and end of the break. Even a 5 minute break at some other time would be good just to get out what you can. Only pumping once a day at 3 months would diminish your supply a great deal.
    I think pretty much any pump flange will fit into a hands free bra. It's the bra that makes it hands free. A double electric pump is what you want, medela and ameda are good brands. I used a Ameda Purley Yours, I liked it about as much as anyone could like a pump

If you bought a used pump you want to make sure it's got a closed system and that it's made for more than one user. Those are usually the industrial (ie expensive) ones.

I have the Medela pump in style advanced pump (that was long)...It's not exactly cheap, but it's worth the money. It works just as well to me as a hospital pump--maybe even better. I was pleasantly surprised how much milk it expressed...especially after using a manual pump with my first daughter.

I wouldn't buy a used pump, because that usually invalidates the guarentee.
    DD1: 8.8.05, 7 lbs Breastfed for two years

DD2: 10.4.08, 6 lbs .5 oz

I've got a Medela Freestyle. Its very compact and comes with a hands-free kit which you can attach to your bra. What a great pump. You'll also want to see what the ladies in the Pumping Forum have to say.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I also recommend the Ameda. It's a little cheaper than the others, and works great (I used it before trying a hospital grade and got the same results). Just make sure you have enough spare parts as you have to get them on the internet.
    Mama to Beatrice Maxine born 8-3-08
    , ,

renting might work well for you. You might want to check that out...

you might find too that baby will reverse cycle and not take much milk while your at work and then want to nurse all night.
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/reversecycling.htm

You'll figure out what works best for you and baby.

heres something on combo feeding
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html

I used the Ameda, too, and loved it. I can also say that they have excellent customer service (others probably do too; I just haven't worked with the others ).

I love my Medela PIS. If you look online you can find directions to convert any pump to hands free. I used the rubber band method with my PIS and it worked GREAT!!! Made a huge difference to be able to do something while I was sitting there pumping.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07