Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Production issue or growing babies??

Default Production issue or growing babies??

Hello~

I have three month old twins and went back to work two weeks ago. The last couple of nights they have done marathon nursing for 2-2.5 hours before they will finally go to sleep. I'm wondering if they are pacifying themselves, trying to regear my body since we just dropped the 4 a.m. feeding in the last two weeks or if I'm having a production issue. I have no idea if this is normal, but since they are still sleeping from 9 or 10 p.m. to 7:30 a.m., I'm assuming it isn't a growth spurt.

More background on our situation. I'm gone for approximately 9 hours and I pump three times for 30 minutes with a Lactina. I'm breastfeeding the girls before I leave home and again when I get home and again right before they go to bed only an hour or two later. I'm also getting up and pumping around 3:30 a.m. every night to get enough milk for their bottles. Then they sleep until 7 or 7:30 a.m. The real marathons started these last couple of days when I've been home with them to nurse them all day, which makes me wonder if my supply has dropped from not being around them.

Tonight I finally gave one of the girls a pacifier when she started crying after I'd put her down and so far she hasn't gotten back up. So that might be my answer. It's just the first time I've given a pacifier at night in months.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks!
    Lisa

Default Re: Production issue or growing babies??

First of all, I wanted to say bravo for doing such a great job nursing your twins. I think I speak for all of us moms, we are in awe of you.

As for your question...There's a major grow spurt at 3 months, sounds like you could be in the middle of it! It also could be simply that now you are back to work, they want to spend more time connecting with you in the evening.

As for pumping, someone posted was a really good video on getting more milk from pumping, you might be interested:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; December 24th, 2008 at 03:16 AM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.