Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Well, not going as planned...

Default Well, not going as planned...

I posted last week about seeing the IBCLC and her helping with some of our issues. We saw her again today to check on things and found out that things are a little worse than we thought.

First, on a positive note, he did gain a WHOLE lb. this week which he desperately needed.

On the bad side, something is physically wrong with his jaw/mouth etc. because he isn't able to latch properly. He can't hold a suction and the LC was able to pull my breast in and out of his mouth while nursing. He sounds like a dog lapping at water, it's that sloppy. The LC taped the SNS to her finger (I told her he wasn't even able to get anything out of that unless I squeezed it into his mouth) and put it in his mouth to feel what was going on and she was completely stumped. She said that after doing this for 20 years, she had never felt anything like it. So, for now I will be pumping and feeding that way until we figure out what is wrong. Nursing right now is tearing up my poor nipples and they need a break.

Ugh, who would think that nursing would be this difficult.........

Default Re: Well, not going as planned...

Sorry to hear things are so difficult for you right now. You are giving your lo an amazing gift by continuing to give him your milk. Hope you can get some r&r through the holidays.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

[QUOTE=@llli*quisty;635472]I posted last week about seeing the IBCLC and her helping with some of our issues. We saw her again today to check on things and found out that things are a little worse than we thought.

First, on a positive note, he did gain a WHOLE lb. this week which he desperately needed.

On the bad side, something is physically wrong with his jaw/mouth etc. because he isn't able to latch properly. He can't hold a suction and the LC was able to pull my breast in and out of his mouth while nursing. He sounds like a dog lapping at water, it's that sloppy. The LC taped the SNS to her finger (I told her he wasn't even able to get anything out of that unless I squeezed it into his mouth) and put it in his mouth to feel what was going on and she was completely stumped. She said that after doing this for 20 years, she had never felt anything like it. So, for now I will be pumping and feeding that way until we figure out what is wrong. Nursing right now is tearing up my poor nipples and they need a break.

Ugh, who would think that nursing would be this difficult.........[/QUOTE]

Im so sorry you two are having such a hard start I hope that you are able to find help figuring what is going on with his jaw soon!

You always hear that breastfeeding is natural... making you think it comes naturally... its def. something you have to learn and work on. I never heard how hard BFing could be, I just thought it would come. Its well worth it! Your doing a good job
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

I can say "ditto" to your statement of "whoever thought nursing could be so difficult." Man, this is my 3rd baby and I'm still trying to figure it out!!! I could only nurse on the breast for a month with my first -- then pumped & fed her that way for another 4 months. With my 2nd, I struggled -- boy, did I struggle trying to nurse him, but lasted for 16 months b/c of support from this website and others. This is now my third and I'm 4 weeks out, still trying to get a good latch and questioning supply issues.

Without even dealing with physical issues from my babies, I had so many problems... I give you kudos for doing what you need to given the circumstances!

Thanks girls for the notes of encouragement!

Mommylim- I completely understand as this is my thrid as well. My first nursed well for 14 months. My second had an issue but we never found it out and she was able to nurse for 6 months, but at least it wasn't painful for me. This time around I was expecting this part to be easy after having experience. Yikes I was off base!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*quisty View Post

Ugh, who would think that nursing would be this difficult.........
    Certainly not me. I didn't think it would be gut-wrenchingly difficult physically and emotionally when it doesn't go like planned. My situation was very different but I know what it can feel like (the tears I cried) and am always available to pm.

Many to you.

Based on my experiences (pretty crappy), it may help you emotionally to go through the positives - you are producing enough milk that you can feed your baby breast milk with all the benefits that confers - you are not doing anything wrong - you have done everything you can - you complete the list.

Also, many babies outgrow their latch problems. As they mature and their physiology changes sometimes they get better at it. Without knowing exactly what is wrong with the LO's mouth/latch we can't promise that - but it is worth trying to bring the baby every now and again (getting skin to skin and seeing if the baby will try and it work). With this in mind it would be a good idea to use slow flow nipples etc on the bottles like a mama who can get the baby to the breast does.

You are doing the very best for your baby - always remember that.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.