Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pops off right before letdown

Default pops off right before letdown

My DS is 13 months. He nurses about 5-8 times per day. He is very distracted during the day and he can drain one side in about 2 minutes, if he stays on that long. My letdown takes anywhere from about 30 sec to one minute to occur after he starts sucking. A lot of times he will suck for a few seconds and then pop off, right before letdown or right after it starts. I cannot stand this! I hate the feeling that the milk is about to start gushing and then it has nowhere to go. And once he pops off, there is no way to make him go back on. Does this happen to anyone else, and how do you deal with it?
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; December 28th, 2008 at 08:01 PM.

Default Re: pops off right before letdown

My DS does the same thing. I try to have a cloth diaper handy (usually, I have it under my breast to cover my belly) to catch "runoff milk." I try to coax him back, but if he's not having that, when he does want to nurse again, I offer the same one back to him. It annoys me too when I have a letdown and he'd already done.

Here is a thread about storing letdown milk.
    Last edited by @llli*milkface; December 29th, 2008 at 02:04 PM.

Just wanted to clarify a few things, too....

I still have a pretty strong letdown sensation. Not that it makes DS choke, just that I definitely feel it and I feel a great sense of "relief" when he drinks a little past that, so that when he pops off right before or when it occurs, it's just a very unpleasant, annoying feeling - mentally, more so than physically. I rarely ever leak when this happens, so it's not a matter of trying to catch the milk.
    Last edited by @llli*lovebeingmommy; December 29th, 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovebeingmommy View Post
    Just wanted to clarify a few things, too....

I still have a pretty strong letdown sensation. Not that it makes DS choke, just that I definitely feel it and I feel a great sense of "relief" when he drinks a little past that, so that when he pops off right before or when it occurs, it's just a very unpleasant, annoying feeling - mentally, more so than physically. I rarely ever leak when this happens, so it's not a matter of trying to catch the milk.
    Mine does that ALL the time. I think it's because they are just latching on for a sec for comfort not milk. Once the milk comes they're done because they're not really hungry/thirsty. At almost 20 months now he has done it soooo many times I'm used to it and the unpleasant annoying emotions are a lot less. It gets better!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09