Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do babies stop pooping when they are ready for solids?

Default Do babies stop pooping when they are ready for solids?

This is what my local LLL leader told me when I first had Béla. She's only 8 weeks but another thread here provoked the thought again.

She said that babies stop pooping (around 6 months, I'm assuming) when the types of colon bacteria has changed, to the kind that absorbs/digests solids. Meaning that just BM won't produce any poo. She said that if anyone tells me that I am wrong about this, NOT TO LISTEN, because she really, really knows what she's talking about. Said her daughter went 12 days, and the longest she's heard of was 2 weeks! Said it's the weirdest thing but true. Insights?

Default Re: Do babies stop pooping when they are ready for solids?

I've never heard of that. I do know that a breastfed baby can go days without pooping and that's okay, but I didn't think it had to do with age DD started going about every other day around 5 months or so... I probably wouldn't use that as a sign for readiness though.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Stop pooping for how long!? That doesn't make any sense. BF Babies as young as 6 weeks can go longer than a day and it's ok. Yes up to two weeks is normal for some. That does not mean a 6 week old baby is ready, at all.

Unless she knows this as fact, she should not be presenting this as an LLL Leader thus speaking for LLL.

Maybe my post was a little confusing

She means that a baby will stop pooping completely when she is ready for solids-

because the type of bacteria in the colon has changed.

I've personally never heard of such a thing.

Here is a link to the LLLi faq page on starting solids.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

There is no mention of stopping pooping as a sign of being ready for solids.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    Maybe my post was a little confusing

She means that a baby will stop pooping completely when she is ready for solids-

because the type of bacteria in the colon has changed.
    Sounds odd to me. I know there are some people on these forums who have delayed introducing solids past 6 months for various reasons. I don't think they've reported their little ones going weeks without pooping.

My little guy used to go a long time between poops sometimes (up to a week or more occasionally), but it didn't have anything to do with age - he was like that from birth. He definitely pooped more regularly and his kind of poop changed when he started eating solids, but I think that was based more on what was going in that what was already inside his stomach.

I do know that the stomach lining etc. matures as babies become more ready for solids (one reason to delay until at least 6 months), and I would believe that the bacteria would change along with it, but I don't think it would have the effect you are describing. Just my 2 cents!

She said that babies stop pooping (around 6 months, I'm assuming) when the types of colon bacteria has changed, to the kind that absorbs/digests solids. She said that if anyone tells me that I am wrong about this, NOT TO LISTEN, because she really, really knows what she's talking about. Said her daughter went 12 days, and the longest she's heard of was 2 weeks! Said it's the weirdest thing but true. Insights?
    hiranmayii, I wonder if I'm not interpreting your post correctly, specifically this sentence: "Meaning that just BM won't produce any poo."

I'm not aware of any information about babies not pooping when they are ready for solids, including those for whom solids aren't introduced until well into the second half of the first year.

I wonder if there was a mix-up in communication, maybe with the main message being not to be alarmed when the child doesn't poop every day?
    Last edited by @llli*LLLSue; December 23rd, 2008 at 08:58 PM.
    Sue
    LLL Leader

She said that if anyone tells me that I am wrong about this, NOT TO LISTEN, because she really, really knows what she's talking about.
    this strikes me as really really odd.

It's simply not true. You can research the heck out of it and you will find nothing that states that breastfed babies will stop pooping when they are ready for solids. My son would go over 10 days between poops months before we started solids. I think he was about 2 months when he first went this long - way too young to start solids.

If this is indeed what she said and what she meant, then I really think you need to ask her where she is getting her information, because I can't find it in any LLL literature. And if she is speaking as an LLL leader, she should really stick to the facts as the organization of LLL states them.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

She said that if anyone tells me that I am wrong about this, NOT TO LISTEN, because she really, really knows what she's talking about.
    If someone says something like this, no matter what the topic, a HUGE red flag goes up in my mind.

What a bizarre thing to say, anyway. What if the baby never stops pooping, when indeed do you start solids? I'd be interested to know what her credentials are.

Kellymom is a widely respected lactation consultant. Take a look at her solids page, it has great advice on when to start.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Smile Re: Do babies stop pooping when they are ready for solids?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLSue View Post
    I'm not aware of any information about babies not pooping when they are ready for solids, including those for whom solids aren't introduced until well into the second half of the first year.

I wonder if there was a mix-up in communication, maybe with the main message being not to be alarmed when the child doesn't poop every day?
    Hi, hiranmayii.

It's confusing when you hear conflicting info and it's definitely hard when this happens. I agree, though, that there seems to be some sort of a communication mix-up. You may want to try clarifying with your Leader, if possible. Brava, to you, for seeking out other mothers' opinions on this, too! It sounds like you're listening to your mommy instincts.

Generally, (for the full-term, healthy baby) at about 6 weeks of age, bowel movements *can* slow down... Some babies keep having bowel movements pretty frequently and others can go about 10-14 days or so without having a bowel movement (generally, these babies have "explosions" ). If a baby has difficulties with bowel movements, a mother may want to check with her ped, just to be sure. Good communication can be very helpful.

As far as when to begin introducing solids, this can be confusing with the different information out there. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests starting solids at *about* the first half of a baby's life. Starting solids is often thought of as just an introduction to solids (or just some fun for babies), not a replacement for breastmilk.

That said, there are also some "sign of readiness" that a baby generally shows they are ready...

* ... is at least five to six months old
    * ... can sit up, with support.... head and neck control
    * ... tongue thrust is gone
    * ... is showing distinct interest in other people's food
    * ... can reach for and maybe try to taste or eat-food

Generally, you can start with a teaspoon or less once or twice a day... increasing the amount just a little bit at each feeding. A good idea is to offer a solid after nursing... since breastmilk should be the main source of nutrition until at least the first year (re: AAP recommendations) . Continue to watch baby here, too. If you nurse before a feeding & then baby still seems hungry when giving solids, you can certainly stop when baby's full.

Also, babies will eat when they're "ready." If baby is refusing solids it might be well to respect this... sometimes babies can have allergies and just naturally resist foods until later on. For many moms, just offering different foods with different textures is considered a good idea, whether baby eats or not. ;o)

Here is a link with more info:
    First Foods for Babies
    and
    When Should My Baby Start Solids

take care,
    carla
    Carla
    LLL Leader