Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush - gets worse before better?

Default Thrush - gets worse before better?

That's what I'm hoping here.

We've had thrush since week 1; she's 8 weeks now. I've been getting more aggressive in treating both of us. More frequent with cleaning her mouth between feedings and rubbing in the Nystatin on her mouth surfaces, rinsing my nipples right after feedings, and vinegar rinse 2x day. The newest angle I've taken is Lamisil on my nipples 2x day.

Now all I can say is 'ouch'. This is really, really annoying. Insights?

Default Re: Thrush - gets worse before better?

It could be thrush paired with Raynaud's/vasospasm.

I had actually gotten rid of thrush but then the Raynaud's kept making me feel like I still had it...Raynaud's feels just like thrush can...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    That's what I'm hoping here.

We've had thrush since week 1; she's 8 weeks now. I've been getting more aggressive in treating both of us. More frequent with cleaning her mouth between feedings and rubbing in the Nystatin on her mouth surfaces, rinsing my nipples right after feedings, and vinegar rinse 2x day. The newest angle I've taken is Lamisil on my nipples 2x day.

Now all I can say is 'ouch'. This is really, really annoying. Insights?
    Sometimes babies don't respond well to Nystatin. Here's a link with some more info on alternate treatments.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...tml#treatments

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thrush, as I mentioned earlier to you, can be hard to "calm." Keep at though... there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

How many wet/poopie diapers is your baby having? Is she generally in a good mood?

In most situations with yeast infections, treatment for thrush takes at least 2 weeks to treat. Or, the yeast is passed back and forth between family members and so may prolong the infection. So, frequently washing hands well is one great way to prevent the sharing.

Many moms find that if they rinse their nipples off with water after after each nursing session and let them air dry, it helps. Cool, dry, "regular" air works best, instead of using, say, a blow dryer with warm air. Change your breast pads frequently (if you wear them), too. Changing and washing your bras in hot water or letting them air dry in the sun helps control/prevent thrush. Since we have the bacteria in our bodies already, the difficult thing is keeping it under control and not "get active." Acidophilus is great at keeping the "good" bacteria in our bodies, too. Many doctors can prescribe some Nystatin, but as mentioned, Nystatin sometimes doesn't work or has some preservatives that may cause some dermatitis in some moms. It may take some trial and error.

Vinegar solutions
    tend to work wonders in helping balance things out with mom. Many mothers use the vinegar washing on their nipples after each nursing session and letting them air dry. Changing and washing bras in hot water and vinegar, like you mentioned, is helpful for many, too.

Sometimes, changing a mother's diet can be helpful... Some try to lower their sugar intake and others try lowering their dairy and carbohydrate intake, as well.

Concerning whether or not you have vasospasms, are your nipple turning white after feedings? Is there also a shooting or burning pain? Does your nipple look like the top of a new lipstick? If so, there are several possible causes for this...

The most common cause is that the baby isn't latching on well and is compressing the tip of the nipple against the roof of his mouth, causing the blood flow to be cut off to the nipple. Often, it looks like the nipple is a strange shape... like the top of a new lipstick. When the blood begins to flow again, this is where the pain begins. Thrush may be felt before, during & after a nursing, along with itching, redness, etc.

Some things to do if you have vasospasms would be...using a warm compress or (if skin is not broken) a hair dryer set on warm on the nipple (not hot... careful not to burn!) may help you feel better. There are prx meds your doc/health professional can suggest, too. Maybe get a 2nd, 3rd opinion from an experienced LC or other medical professional?

Another key thing is to keep the nipple area warm after a feeding and helping start your let-down with some gentle massage before a nursing, as will hand expressing or pumping on a low setting if you should miss a feeding. This will help protect your supply.

Any chance you're pregnant? Is your bra too tight? Have you been using a new nipple cream, deodorant, lotion, etc.? Has a vinegar solution or other thrush treatment been used?

You can overcome this obstacle and have a great nursing relationship with your baby. Hang in there!!

take care,
    Carla
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carla View Post
    How many wet/poopie diapers is your baby having? Is she generally in a good mood?
    Concerning whether or not you have vasospasms, are your nipple turning white after feedings? Is there also a shooting or burning pain? Does your nipple look like the top of a new lipstick? If so, there are several possible causes for this...

The most common cause is that the baby isn't latching on well and is compressing the tip of the nipple against the roof of his mouth, causing the blood flow to be cut off to the nipple. Often, it looks like the nipple is a strange shape... like the top of a new lipstick. When the blood begins to flow again, this is where the pain begins. Thrush may be felt before, during & after a nursing, along with itching, redness, etc.
    She has about 4 poopie/5 wet/day. About. She's generally in a good mood, yes, but only if constantly being held OR not having a fussy nursing session. The problem is that she is fussy at the breast after letdown and is constantly fussing on and off, on and off. This happens during about half of our nursing sessions - never the night ones.

My nipples DO look like the top of a new lipstick. But they never turn white..? If I am having vasospasms and want to try warm compress the second she comes off, how can this be done? I don't know when she's going to come off, (or she comes off 50 times a session) and I'd have to get up from wherever we are nursing to make the compress. I don't exactly know how I'd keep a compress warm next to us? How could I have the misshaped nipple but no white color?

I'm having a really tough time with this largely because I have NO support from DH. He has his "reason" for everything she does, knows everything, I'm doing it all wrong, blah blah blah. Says she needs to sit by herself to cry it out (during fussy nursing sessions) and that she is spoiled. I know he is just ignorant, but it's also stressful. How do you deal with your know it all DH?

You might consider asking your doctor about Bactroban ointment. When I had thrush, Bactroban made me feel a lot better than Nystatin ever did. Plus it was less of a pain in the butt because I didn't have to removed the Bactroban before DD nursed. My doc paired that with Diflucan, and eventually my thrush cleared up, although the cracks are still healing...3 months later!!

I'm a full-time single mama and a full-time law student!! Loving every minute!!

Mommy to Izzy , born 8/23/08!!! Check out our blog!

BW: 8lbs. 8oz., 20 in.
    3 months: 11 lbs. 14oz., 23 1/4 in.
    6 months: 17 lbs. 9oz., 26 1/2 in.
    9 months: 20 lbs. 0 oz., 27 in.
    12 months: 22 lbs. 12 oz., 28 3/4 in.
    15 months: 25 lbs. 12 oz., 29 3/4 in.

for 18+ months! Now we only nurse on one side because mama's other side is predisposed to recurring mastitis!!

She has about 4 poopie/5 wet/day. About. She's generally in a good mood, yes, but only if constantly being held OR not having a fussy nursing session. The problem is that she is fussy at the breast after letdown and is constantly fussing on and off, on and off. This happens during about half of our nursing sessions - never the night ones.
    Good to hear she's getting plenty of wet/poopy diapers. Being fussy at the breast after a let-down can be common. You might try letting your milk flow onto a cloth once your let-down begins and then offer the breast again. Thrush can also irritate a baby's mouth and throat, too. You might also try keeping her upright after a feeding for about 30 minutes or so... a baby carrier can be helpful here!

My nipples DO look like the top of a new lipstick. But they never turn white..? If I am having vasospasms and want to try warm compress the second she comes off, how can this be done? I don't know when she's going to come off, (or she comes off 50 times a session) and I'd have to get up from wherever we are nursing to make the compress. I don't exactly know how I'd keep a compress warm next to us? How could I have the misshaped nipple but no white color?
    Have you seen an experienced LC or LLL Leader, yet? Sounds like her latch-on needs a little bit of help. Generally, with newborns, supporting the breast throughout a nursing session may be necessary since baby's muscle support is still developing. Experimenting with different positions may be helpful. Also, if baby is losing her latch, there may be some other issues involved. Sometimes just learning to work with new "breastfeeding-breast-size" can be a learning experience for mom, too. Seeing how you both nurse may be helpful.

I'm having a really tough time with this largely because I have NO support from DH. He has his "reason" for everything she does, knows everything, I'm doing it all wrong, blah blah blah. Says she needs to sit by herself to cry it out (during fussy nursing sessions) and that she is spoiled. I know he is just ignorant, but it's also stressful. How do you deal with your know it all DH?
    This can be hard. With many, it helps to keep remarks/comments during situations like these less confrontational, avoiding emotions and replying with statements seems to be helpful to many. Here is an article from LLL called "How do I respond to and avoid criticism about breastfeeding?" that gives some great examples on how to effectively respond in different situations. For instance, these phrases may be appropriate in your situation:

* Use "I" messages instead of "YOU" messages. (Rather than "You always criticize me" try "I really don't like to be criticized." )
    * The American Academy of Pediatrics feels...
    * Everyone has to make the decision they feel is best for their situation.
    * This is a topic that has been debated and argued for generations. Let's not fall into that trap, OK?

The article also gives "Ways To Prevent Criticism" and more resources.

Hang in there!
    Last edited by @llli*LLLCarla; December 27th, 2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: clarification
    Carla
    LLL Leader