Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: increasing milk and uneven supply

Default increasing milk and uneven supply

Hello. I am nursing my 2 month old daughter and started pumping to prepare to return to work. I noticed that my right breast produces two times as much milk as the left. How can I make my breasts more even (increase the production in my left breast)?

Default Re: increasing milk and uneven supply

It is actually very common to have uneven supply between the breasts. Some moms give up on one side altogether because there can be so little on one side.

When I pump sometimes I get 2 oz off one side, and maybe 1/2 oz on the other. My left side has always produced less.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Default Re: increasing milk and uneven supply

One way might be to nurse your baby more often on the left side. Have her finish the left side before offering the right (does she seem to prefer the right side?).

But as the pp said, it's very normal to have one side that produces more than the other, and it's generally not a problem.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--