Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: so tired

Default so tired

Warning, rant ahead

I'm so tired of breast feeding. For 12 weeks we did great - she was growing on track, developing normally if not a bit ahead, and we were both so happy.

Now I've been back to work for almost 2 months and it's just going downhill. I could get 8-9 oz total per day, which was fine for 3 bottles when I was gone. Now for the past few weeks I can only get between 7 and 7.5 total - in 3 pumping sessions. Obviously not enough. So I've had to add a little from our frozen stash every day. I don't know what's wrong, NOTHING is different, I use a hospital grade pump, it just doesn't make sense. We've even been nursing like crazy when I'm home with her (3 days a week in a row) and it doesn't seem to help my supply at all. Typical - nothing I do helps at all.

Every time my child fusses I swear my care provider (my mom) thinks it's because she's hungry. So she's pressuring me to start solids (I really want to wait until 6 months). My pedi I know will suggest supplementation too as she's not growing quite as much as she should be, but she's not far off (she's small to begin with, 12 lbs 9 oz at 4 mos), even though she's got enough wet dipes and sleeps just fine. I know DH will hear this and want to do it no matter how much I suggest he get online and read why waiting is good. And I had to hear from MIL last weekend how rice cereal really helps them at this age - it 'coats their bellies' and makes them sleep longer (which I know is crap but you can't tell experienced mothers this).

I'm sick of the looks and comments I get when I explain that she eats A LOT, sometimes every hour and a half. IT'S NORMAL! No, she doesn't sleep through the night. She wakes up once. IT'S NORMAL!

I worry all the time about not providing enough for her, and her not getting enough with me. My gut says she's getting enough, but even the tiniest thought that she's not horrifies me.

I'm just plain tired. No one seems to appreciate what I'm doing for her (DH or my parents or my in-laws or anyone for that matter), and a lot of times I feel so alone. I know DH doesn't mean it, but a bit of gratitude every once in a while would be nice.

Thanks for reading. I do feel a little better.
    Mama to Beatrice Maxine born 8-3-08
    , ,

Default Re: so tired

Hang in there mamma! Sounds like you have quit quite a rough patch.

It's really hard when people are pressuring you to start solids. Just tell them it's your family and not theirs. Don't do things the way others think you should. Sometimes it's just best to let advice go in one ear and out the other. I know that is so much easier said than done.

I'm pretty sure it is quite normal for pumping output to decrease after a while. Someone here may know more about that than I do.

All the things that you mentioned are completly normal. I hope that you are able to continue breastfeeding and ignore those pesky unwanted comments from others.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I'm so sorry mama...

I would trust your gut that she is getting enough. Momma's instincts!

Ignore the comments, I have had to too. I have no support from my side of the family either, as none of them have bf'd. My baby is 6 1/2 months and I am just now thinking about starting solids. She will let you know she's ready.

Don't give up, & listen to your gut (heart!)

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tinkerbinks View Post
    I'm so sorry mama...

I would trust your gut that she is getting enough. Momma's instincts!

Ignore the comments, I have had to too. I have no support from my side of the family either, as none of them have bf'd. My baby is 6 1/2 months and I am just now thinking about starting solids. She will let you know she's ready.

Don't give up, & listen to your gut (heart!)
    Follow those motherly instincts. You know what is best for your baby.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

OK Mama No one knows your baby like you do! I have two babies and they are both small so I know how frustrating other peoples opinions can be. My first I freaked out about what everyone else thought and said and I started to resent my baby b/c of all the pressure Then I realized that it doesn't matter what they say!!! I dont' know whats up with our parents -mine had 5 kids and you would seem to think they would remember some thing aobut having babies but they don't. I just try not to get frustrated about them anymore. I think that any time a baby crys that the natural instinct of other is to think that baby is hungry. You just need to be strong for your baby and know that you and baby are in this together. If you don't feel right about starting solids -PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN AND JUST SAY NO. I am in the same boat right now with DS and I hear about it nightly. I don't care -she is not ready! Its not about being rude its about being confident in what you are doing. My 2 year old is only 20lbs and off the growth charts but we have a very small family -my dad (54 years old) only weighs 130lbs. So everyone is an idividual and doesn't nessessarally fit on a chart. I know my babies are healthy and thriving! Hang in there and come back for more support from those of us that understand!

Hi I'm Melissa
    I love my babies!
    Abigail Born 2-28-07
    Courtney Born 7-23-08
    Madilyn Born 2-16-11
    DH is SUPERMAN

Excuse me -there goes my toddlers