Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How I'm Dealing....

Default How I'm Dealing....

I've come to the conclusion that my OALD isn't typical (the moderators are probably rolling their eyes at me right now ). So after 2 weeks of this, this is what I've come up with.

My OALD only affects one breast (right) and only affects me at night and the early morning. During the day and evening, there's no problem at all. In fact, because LO feeds more often in the evening (every 1 - 2 hours) we tend to struggle a bit to keep up. If I start with the left, I typically have to top up with the right so that she gets enough. LO's night sleeping is now going 4 - 5 hours, never shorter than 3.

Last night was very upsetting because LO just couldn't deal with the OALD. We woke DH up with LO's crying and fussing. Then DH wanted to talk about it and have me explain what was going on. At 5:40am I was NOT in a chatty mood.

So this morning I was engorged again on the right side. LO woke at 8am. I changed her and brought her downstairs. I then pumped for 4 minutes to take the edge off. I got 55ml (2oz) out of the right breast! That's WAY more then I normally get in that amount of time. I then nursed her quite comfortably (for us both) and she's been sleeping for the last 1 1/2 hours.

So while I know that pumping will stimulate more production, I also realize that my problem is only overnight and not during the day. This doesn't seem to be reflected in the KellyMom article regarding OALD that it can be time based or only on one side. Since the left side is typically an under producer, I was at a real loss. I think that if I just pump off just the over supply in the morning so that I don't overwhelm LO, we'll be okay.

LO will be 12 weeks old on Thursday so I understand that there's a hormone change coming in me that might help. I figure if I can just hold out until the natural changes come, we'll work through this.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: How I'm Dealing....

you can do it your baby is very young yet!
    IF you've found something that works for you go for it.

I have the SAME exact issue...too fast on the right...but only if we've gone several hours between nursing sessions (ie early morning). Something that works for us is to...

1. start LO on the left and let the right one hang out and drain. I just put a towel under my right boob and its soaked by the time LO is done with my right side.

2. sleep without a bra and a thick towel underneath me. I sleep on my left side so that my right boob is "on top" and I just let myself leak into the towel. That helps keep me from being so engorged in the morning.

Good luck and I hope you guys get settled into what works for you guys.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    I have the SAME exact issue...too fast on the right...but only if we've gone several hours between nursing sessions (ie early morning). Something that works for us is to...

1. start LO on the left and let the right one hang out and drain. I just put a towel under my right boob and its soaked by the time LO is done with my right side.

2. sleep without a bra and a thick towel underneath me. I sleep on my left side so that my right boob is "on top" and I just let myself leak into the towel. That helps keep me from being so engorged in the morning.

Good luck and I hope you guys get settled into what works for you guys.
    You see?! THIS is why this forum is such a great resource! It means so much that there are other women out there experiencing the same things.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    My OALD only affects one breast (right) and only affects me at night and the early morning. During the day and evening, there's no problem at all.
    I think I might have an explanation for this. My MIL, who is a nurse-midwife and very knowledgeable about breastfeeding, told me that prolactin (the hormone that stimulates milk production) levels usually peak at night. This is why many women get more engorged at night and why we generally have the most milk early in the morning. It's also why many babies like to nurse all night long- because the milk is abundant and easy to get at.

Since most women have one breast that produces more than the other, it's totally normal to have one breast become overfull and to have OALD in that breast when it is engorged.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"