Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 month old won't nurse well...maybe constipated?

Default 2 month old won't nurse well...maybe constipated?

Hi all!
    I am hoping you guys can help me or give me advice. I have had a ton of problems breastfeeding my son but have finally rectified them all....and now there's a new one. My son is waking up for about 2 feedings a night. At his first feeding he is so hungry that he's vigorous and nurses well on one side and then he starts to try to poop and he arches his back and cries and screams. Even though he's hungry and rooting, he won't latch on because he needs to poop and is focusing on that. I know that babies don't have as many bowel movements once they get a little older, but he hasn't been pooping at all at night now and I can tell he's in pain. I was wondering if any of you have any ideas of something i can do in the early evening or something i can give him so he gets his poop out of the way and nurses well at night. its so frustrating because I end up having to pump and feed him EBM...which he will take. he just won't take the boob when he's gotta poop. He usually poops about 2-3 times a day so i know he's not really constipated...he just is in pain at night for some reason. Please give me advice.... i'm really frustrated. I was also wondering if any of you had tried prune juice mixed with BM or water. I haven't tried it but I heard it works.

Thanks!

Default Re: 2 month old won't nurse well...maybe constipated?

My first thought is that maybe he's waking up super-hungry and is impatient for the let-down

Or maybe he's gassy? Does he get a good burping the feeding before that one?

If he's pooping, he is definitely not constipated. Constipation in EBF babies is exceedingly rare. *I* would also never offer juice, diluted or otherwise, to a two month old infant (heck, I won't give it to my DD any time in the forseeable future).

If you think he may be waking up too hungry (is that his longest stretch?), maybe try to fit in a dream feed earlier on, so he doesn't wake as hungry?

JM2CW
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

I agree w/ the pp. It seems maybe he is gassy or very hungry. LLL & the AAP do recommend babies receive only BM for at least the first 6 months, so I don't think juice is the way to go. Have you tried pumping his legs to help with pooping. Remember his body & system are still immature and it will take some time for him to regulate.
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sophie1982 View Post
    At his first feeding he is so hungry that he's vigorous and nurses well on one side and then he starts to try to poop and he arches his back and cries and screams.
    Does he actually get a bowel movement when he does this?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Sometimes babies have a hard time having a bowel movement when they are laying down. Just think if you had to go in that position. It may help to sit your lo up and see if they are able to go that way too.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

To help out my baby I massage her belly and pump her legs before I put her down at night. She was a really gassy girl, now not bad at all!

*she loves the massage too*

1st time momma of a beautiful (my little tinkerbink!) Born June 08'

Expecting #2 early April

Married to my soulmate since May 06'

So blessed..

Smile Re: 2 month old won't nurse well...maybe constipated?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. He's "almost" exclusively breastfed. I have to suppliment him every 4 or 5 days or so with formula because he eats so much and won't nurse well so i've burned through my supply of stored BM. I know that a lot of the reason he's so fussy at night is because of gas. I have given him little tummies and that doesn't seem to do much. I have tried pumping his legs which helps him pass gas and makes him more comfortable but he still won't poo. I'll try sitting him up next time when he's really trying to go and see if that helps. I do notice that when i am forced to suppliment him with formula he's always WAY more gassy. I am starting to wonder if its something in my diet thats making him uncomfortable. Have you ladies noticed anything in your diet that makes your little one particularly gassy? I'd love suggestions.

Thanks again!

The reason I asked about whether you are actually getting a bowel movement is because the thrashing/screaming/even gas sound like they could be OALD. You don't necessarily have to have OALD at every feeding. Have you seen that info before? Maybe check it out and see if any of those symptoms sounds familiar or maybe try some of the tips.

Good luck mama.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I found there's nothing better to stimulate DS to poop than a full tummy. Try really focussing on cluster feeding during those few hours before bedtime. A warm bath and massage might also do the trick. DS is much older, but sometimes has a hard time pooping with his diaper on, especially worse if he has a tight sleeper on, not good. If your LO looks like he needs to poop, you could try taking his diaper off, washing his bum with a warm cloth (or 2 or 3), and bicycling his legs, this might help.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.