Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nightime feedings

Default Nightime feedings

I am hoping someone can give me some advice. DD2 will be 10mo on Christmas day. By 4wks old she was sleeping 8hrs straigt and by 2 months she slept from 8pm to 6am, all that ended when she turned about 5 months, she would wake up several times and night and would feed to go back to sleep, right now she is going to bed at 8pm and waking up at 12, 3, 5 only to nurse herself back to sleep, 5 to 10mins tops. I am a nigh owl, (always have been) so i go to sleep after her first waking at 12. we do not co-sleep, she sleeps in her crib, but very often after one of her wakings she stays in my bed for the rest of the night. . She is now teething, just started crawling and standing up.

I really do not mind waking up to feed her, however My husband and I have on ocation to attend events and we do not come back by 12, sometimes the baby sitter can put her back to sleep but most of the times, she ends up calling me to go home because she is crying unconsolably. I then have to hurry up in the car, drive like a mad man, get home and nurse her back to sleep. I am still OK with this, although I hate that she is crying for at least 15 20 mins while I get home, In addition, i am in the process of getting certified to be a labor doula and I have go to births to finish the certification. I have already missed two nighttime births, because i did not want to leave her, Just the thought of her crying and wanting to nurse and me not beign there drives me nuts. I guess i could leave her some EBM, but I think she is not really hungry and just wants comfort. I assume this since she feeds for just minutes before falling asleep again.

Is there anything I can do to try to extend her wakings, I feel horrible asking this, My husband is supportive and does not oblige me to go with him, but I really want to be there for him, and for my expecting mothers.

Thanks for your advice.

Jenny Bertha, Living in Guayaquil, Ecuador

Mommy to
    Ilona born 8-20-2005
    Mia born 2-25-2008

Default Re: Nightime feedings

What about a bottle of expressed milk?

Another option is for you to get her attached to something else- a blanket, a doll, rocking in a chair, etc. When she wakes up at night, you could star the habit of not nursing her but putting her to sleep with this other attachment.

I have also found that if I got to my son before he was all the way awake, I could pat him or rock him back to sleep before he ever really woke up.
    This could also be helpful if there's another person with her at night- if they hear her start to stir and get her a bottle of milk before she's actually awake, she might never make it to the crying stage.
    Mari
    Mohamed 6-9-06
    Jad 11-27-08

Default Re: Nightime feedings

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*missmari View Post
    What about a bottle of expressed milk?

Another option is for you to get her attached to something else- a blanket, a doll, rocking in a chair, etc. When she wakes up at night, you could star the habit of not nursing her but putting her to sleep with this other attachment.

I have also found that if I got to my son before he was all the way awake, I could pat him or rock him back to sleep before he ever really woke up.
    This could also be helpful if there's another person with her at night- if they hear her start to stir and get her a bottle of milk before she's actually awake, she might never make it to the crying stage.
    That's exactly what DH does when I am away at work. Sometimes when she wakes in the middle of the night he goes in there and rubs her back gently and talks to her and can get her to go back to sleep.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!