Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear infection -> antibiotics -> thrush -> HELP!

Exclamation Ear infection -> antibiotics -> thrush -> HELP!

My 7-month-old DD was diagnosed with RSV, then bronchiolitis, then a double ear infection... She was prescribed oral antibiotics, but we ended up in the ER and they gave her an IV of antibiotics, THEN told us to continue the oral antibiotics. So now she has an awful yeast rash AND thrush in her mouth. I have no symptoms...YET, but I know it's only a matter of time. I've been researching like crazy to figure out what to do. We have the nystatin liquid, but I've read it's not all that successful most of the time. (We're having a heck of a time getting it in her mouth too...). I've been putting the nystatin ointment on her bottom, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. The tube says to use 4 times a day; should I apply it after ever diaper change? She's got diarrhea as well thanks to the antibiotic, so I'm changing her every hour or more.

Also, what can I do to prevent myself from getting thrush? I've read about the vinegar/water wash for my nipples, putting the nystatin liquid on my nipples, washing my bras, etc w/ vinegar. I also ordered some grapefruit seed extract and hoping it will arrive soon... I've been avoiding the gentian violet due to a fear that we will look like we had a fight with the Purple People Eater just in time for Christmas. But maybe I should bite the bullet?

What about her toys? How do I clean those? Hard toys can be bleached but what about cloth ones??

And do you think 400 mg twice daily of amoxicillin is too much?? I have people telling me that's overkill...
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: Ear infection -> antibiotics -> thrush -> HELP!

Oh eek! That's a lot to deal with. I can't say what's what about all the medications (I'm not a dr) but something you didn't mention to help prevent thrush is taking a probiotic. I'm quite surprised your Dr didn't mention it. What it does is add good bacteria into your body. The kind I always get is safe for even infants.
    Read the directions carefully too, you've got to take it around the antibiotic for either one to work.

Good luck!!! All of your other things sounded good. Get a start on that before it gets worse!

Hi, first of all Don't panic!
    my sun had a thrush for 3 months almost since he was born, and no medication helped (nystatin and dactarin), eventually it disappeared by itself. I kept on breastfeeding with no problems, i never had symptoms as well.
    If you are treating her for thrush you have to treat yourself as well, otherwise you will just keep on infecting each other, you can apply the same medication to your nipples after each feeding. Wash often the sheets and toys. You can put the toys in the dishwasher.
    About the antibiotics, even if it seems huge, its important to finish all the dose, otherwise you will promote antibiotics resistance. There is no sense in giving her probiotics now, since the antibiotics that kills the bad bacteria kills the good bacteria as well. So the probiotics should be given after the antibiotics course is finished, however I would consult a pediatrician before hand.
    Good luck and Sterkt! ( be strong ) as they say in the netherlands
    Working Mom

Pro

with the probx. Your LO is 7 months old.. have you tried yogurt, I've also heard that its in oatmeal but I havent looked myself about that.

One thought about the oral stuff you cant get into your LO mouth... can you apply it to your nipples right before you nurse your LO?

I hope this goes away soon!!
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am taking acidophilus (I always take one pearl a day), and we've started rubbing some in DD's mouth as well. DD has a dairy sensitivity, so I can't give her yogurt. Sounds like I'm going to be having fun with all this laundry. Too bad my Christmas present (new washer/dryer) can't come early. Can I put cloth toys in the dishwasher?? Washing machine? There's no tags on them... Also, I've read that standard practice for an ear infection these days is a 7-day course. The doc prescribed a 10-day course, but she also misdiagnosed DD and did a few other things to make me lose trust in her (she's actually a sub as our usual pedi is on maternity leave - oh how we miss her!). Given that the ER gave her a mega-dose of antibiotics, my plan is to stop the oral antibiotics after 7 days. I don't want to contribute to the antibiotic resistance epidemic we have going in this country, but I also don't want to subject my DD to the diarrhea (she's going at least 6 times a day!) and yeast rash any longer than necessary. Can anyone confirm that 7 days is enough to prevent a re-infection?

Pumped for 30 months

Medela makes a great product for cleaning your bottle nipples, pacis, toys, pump parts and anything else that you might need to sterelize.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2735035

You get five bags to a box and you can use each bag 20x.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I have those steam bags. They're great, aren't they? But, they aren't large enough for her cloth-covered toys, which is what we were struggling to figure out how to clean. I read that yeast hates sunlight, so we sunned them all day. Hopefully, that will take care of it.

We have decided to continue the antibiotic for the full 10 days, though I'm concerned about her diarrhea and rash... It doesn't seem to be any better, despite the acidophilus, creams, etc. Her thrush is still present as well, and I am beginning to feel some sharp (yet mild) pains every now and then in my breasts. I'm using a vinegar wash and nystatin on my nipples, so I think we're doing all we can. Hopefully we can keep this at a minimum so we can enjoy DD's first Christmas! The grapefruit seed extract should arrive tomorrow. If it works, I will post again so others have it as a resource. Thanks again for all the advice! I don't know where I would be without this board!

Pumped for 30 months

Here's hoping you have a yeast free Christmas!

My DD came down with bronchiolitis and thrush at 2 months old. I also had thrush. We were also given the nystatin, and we took it over a 10 day period, with her getting it orally and me using it on my nipples. I was also put on a different antibiotic so we wouldn't keep passing it. What are you using to give her the medicine? I always used a syringe and was really careful to squirt it into the back of her mouth and it worked great. As for the toys, I've never had a problem washing cloth toys in the machine on a gentle cycle. Either that or scrubbing then down by hand with detergent and a toothbrush. For the diaper rash, we always use a white diaper rash cream mixed with Mylanta. I know it sounds crazy, but it works like a charm!!!
    I'm Shannon!
    Single, babywearing, barefoot in the grass mama to 3 wonderful babies!
    Abby 11-25-03
    Terry 9-29-06
    Kate 6-12-08
    and my Jack 11-17-02, gone to God at 11 weeks

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"I am going to be happy today, though the skies may be cloudy or gray. No matter what comes my way, I am going to be happy today."

So sorry you all are fighting thrush... Sometimes this can feel like such a battle, too. Hang in there until it's all gone! You're right about needing to treat mommy and baby at the same time since thrush can be spread back and forth between family members (mom, siblings, dad, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2babyk View Post
    The tube says to use 4 times a day; should I apply it after ever diaper change? She's got diarrhea as well thanks to the antibiotic, so I'm changing her every hour or more.

Frequent breastfeeding is helpful so that she doesn't get dehydrated, as you already know. Keep it up.

Lots of fresh air in between diaper changes may also help. Thrush thrives in moist areas.

Also, what can I do to prevent myself from getting thrush? I've read about the vinegar/water wash for my nipples, putting the nystatin liquid on my nipples, washing my bras, etc w/ vinegar. I also ordered some grapefruit seed extract and hoping it will arrive soon... I've been avoiding the gentian violet due to a fear that we will look like we had a fight with the Purple People Eater just in time for Christmas. But maybe I should bite the bullet?

Vinegar solutions tend to work wonders in helping balance things out with mom. Many mothers use the vinegar washing on their nipples after each nursing session and letting them air dry. Changing and washing bras in hot water and vinegar, like you mentioned, is helpful for many, too.

Some say there are ways to "lessen" the staining effects, too. For instance, using only a couple of drops of GV and applying some Vaseline type product on baby's mouth area can help the staining. Also, wiping off baby's face as soon as possible can help... Hard sometimes, but maybe this could help. Since GV can burn a baby's mouth, this is another reason to use it as a 'last resort' type situation. Many have great results, though, too.

What about her toys? How do I clean those? Hard toys can be bleached but what about cloth ones??
    Washing the toys in hot, soapy water and letting them dry in the sun might help with most toys. For some, you may just want to use a washcloth and setting them out in the direct sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*=
    mommy2babyk;635041]
    And do you think 400 mg twice daily of amoxicillin is too much?? I have people telling me that's overkill...

You may want to ask your ped about the info you find out... More so since most on these forums aren't doctors.

Hang in there!
    Carla
    LLL Leader