Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP -Pumping Nightmare - No Milk Not adjusting to additional stimulation????

Default HELP -Pumping Nightmare - No Milk Not adjusting to additional stimulation????

I have been pumping after 4month old eats for 2 days and I am not getting anything. I have a medela pump and it works great if I pump when baby hasn't eatten. But b/c baby and I are going to be apart during vacation in a week I needed to ramp up my supply and store some milk. I have been pumping after every feeding AND pumping an hour and a half (for 15-20 min)after baby is done. So basicly my breasts are stimulated every hour and a half. I'm not getting anything!? I didn't expect to get much of anything at first b/c my supply isn't used to it but still after 2 days I'm not getting anymore. I have been eating oatmeal and watching calorie intake(more) and drinking lots of water and getting sleep. But no extra milk. My nipples are purple and I'm tired of waisting my time. Will I eventually get something or is this all in vain. I'm so frustrated b/c I have an expensive pump and it's not working in this regard (I've pump dozens of times-so I know how to use it and know it works) Why won't my supply adjust and increase to all this extra stimulation????

Default Re: HELP -Pumping Nightmare - No Milk Not adjusting to additional stimulation????

I don't know what your little one's regular nursing schedule is like, but when mine was that age, I always had the most milk in the morning. Is it possible to wake up a little early, and pump before your first nurse of the morning? Your baby will be able to get the hind milk (babies are much better at getting that than pumps are) and the stimulation to your breasts after pumping may help to increase your milk supply.

If pumping is making you stressed and sore, that is not going to help anyone. So, yah, I would try pumping when my breasts are really full, and feeding baby after pumping. Maybe use a lanolin product if your nipples are getting sore from all that stimulation. And you could try doing breast compressions while you are pumping to encourage your letdown. That helps me when I pump.
    Nursing DS since 12/07. Always voraciously on all mothering-related topics. Switched to cloth when DS was 13 months, and haven't looked back.

Default Re: HELP -Pumping Nightmare - No Milk Not adjusting to additional stimulation????

I found that fenugreek (3 pills 3 x a day) really helped me with my supply..

and sometimes if you do it too frequently you don't allow your breasts to make more milk...

I also found I would get my most first in the morning..my dd would just nurse on one breast and I would pump the other bec I was so full! and I would also pump right before I went to bed which was 2ish hrs after my dd last feed of the night!

If I pumped right after a feed I would also barely get an oz ... but I figured by the end of the day it would add up to a bottle.

Lastly I found that I had to massage my breasts toward the center the whole 20 min session to get any good results...if I let the pump "do all the work" I would get half as much!

OH maybe check out the pumping forum they might have other tips/ideas!!!

HTH
    Good luck!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Ok breathe with me! In through the nose out through the mouth... ahhhh.

There are probably a couple of things leading to your frustration here. First is that creating an oversupply (which is what your wanting to do, creating extra besides what she's doing) is easier said than done. Often it takes a lot more than two days. I hate to say this but sometimes a week or more. Not to say that you can't get milk by then, but to actually increase what your making.

Try to pump while your LO is nursing, that could help the let down on the other side. Pumping in the morning will almost always yield more than in the evening. Massage and breast compression can help a great deal too.

It helps to have a good pump, but it can't squeeze water from a stone no matter how good it is. Don't injure yourself with it!! Just pump what you can pump.

Ok most important here, but probably the hardest thing. You must let go, relax. You'll get what milk you get. Even if you were engorged and had your self in a stressed out frenzy you'd not pump hardly a drop. You've got to get warm, get comfortable, get your mind off the drops going into the bottle. That's why pumping while nursing works so good!

How long are you gone from her? Wondering how much milk you need to leave her?

Thanks for the encouragement, truth and help. I will be away from baby for 21/2 days. I thought that pumping now wouldn't be a big deal. I have just enough for baby so I wonder if my breasts will take a lot longer (than a averaged size womans breasts-I'm a small A) to adjust. I was just under the impession that bm is supply and demand so if I pumped a whole lot that my breast would start to think baby needs more therefor produce more? I just dont understand why after 20min I'm not even letting down again? I'm trying to relax while pumping and look at and think about baby but nothing is working. How long does it take to produce more milk? I thought your body is always making -so after 20min you would get more than 2 drops? I worry that if I pump one breast while feeding baby that she will still be hungry after the 1st and want the breast I just emptyed while pumping? Like I said -I usally just have enough with both breasts so thats why I'm not pumping while nursing. I don't want baby to starve or suppliment.(Then whats the point of not supplimenting when we are apart) I have always struggled with supply! Thanks for your continued commments! Keep'm coming -MErry Christmas!

I will be away from baby for 21/2 days.
    Ok so you'd need at most about 60 or so oz of milk.

I thought that pumping now wouldn't be a big deal.
    It does take time! It's a process.

I have just enough for baby so I wonder if my breasts will take a lot longer (than a averaged size womans breasts-I'm a small A) to adjust.
    The good thing is that size has nothing to do with supply. Your storage amount might be smaller, but you can still make the same amount as a mom with larger breasts.

I was just under the impession that bm is supply and demand so if I pumped a whole lot that my breast would start to think baby needs more therefor produce more?
    Your correct. It doesn't happen overnight though. I suspect sometime when your on vacation your going to suddenly be busting at the seams! It can take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks to see an increase. Also if your very erratic about when your pumping, it's harder to "see" that increase because it's spaced out in the day. If you pumped everyday at the same time you'd seen an increase faster, but not instantly. If demand suddenly goes up for cars, they still have to make them first.

I just dont understand why after 20min I'm not even letting down again?
    Do you normally get another let down then? Sometimes it's really hard to get that second or third letdown with a pump. I always found that if I stopped pumping for a minute, and then went back that helped.

I'm trying to relax while pumping and look at and think about baby but nothing is working.
    If those things aren't working for you try something else. If while your thinking about the baby your subconscious is also freaking out about not having some extra for your baby then that doesn't help. Maybe try reading a book or magazine, getting your mind of what your doing completely.

How long does it take to produce more milk?
    Depends, there's no hard and fast time line. A few days to a couple of weeks seems to be the average. Sometimes mom's have a hard time increasing or decreasing off of what their babies demand. Trying things like oatmeal, mothers milk tea, might help give you a little boost.

I thought your body is always making -so after 20min you would get more than 2 drops?
    Well your not instantly filled up again. How long does your baby go between nursing sessions now? Maybe 2 or 3 hours? That would be what your body thinks is enough time to make the milk for the next session.

I worry that if I pump one breast while feeding baby that she will still be hungry after the 1st and want the breast I just emptyed while pumping? Like I said -I usally just have enough with both breasts so thats why I'm not pumping while nursing. I don't want baby to starve or suppliment.(Then whats the point of not supplimenting when we are apart).
    Does she normally take both sides? If so, feed her on one side. Then offer her the other, while she's nursing at the second breast, pump on the first. Your not going to get a bottle full of milk, but you'll get something. Even if your essentially pumping an empty breast.

I have always struggled with supply!
    Due to a medical reason or something else? That may be a clue into the fact that it's going to take you some time to build that oversupply.

Dear Jessica and all you other great ladies! THANK YOU I will keep at it. I guess I Just need to be patient. Thanks for taking all your time to read and write responses. I really appriciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lisapea View Post
    Your baby will be able to get the hind milk (babies are much better at getting that than pumps are)
    Really? Is this true? So if my baby is only getting pumped milk during the day is she missing out on a normal amount of hind milk? If so, that sucks.
    Mama to Beatrice Maxine born 8-3-08
    , ,

I"m worried that if I pump first (1st thing in the am) than baby woulnd have enough and start crying. Then what do you do? I'm not convinced my milk will increase due to pumping? Any other thoughts. I,ve always struggled with increasing my supply. Come on boobs -do your job!!!
    Last edited by @llli*sweetiebugs; December 23rd, 2008 at 04:11 PM.

Hi I'm Melissa
    I love my babies!
    Abigail Born 2-28-07
    Courtney Born 7-23-08
    Madilyn Born 2-16-11
    DH is SUPERMAN

Excuse me -there goes my toddlers

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beamaxmama View Post
    Really? Is this true? So if my baby is only getting pumped milk during the day is she missing out on a normal amount of hind milk? If so, that sucks.
    Are you getting the milk separation where the thick stuff rises to the top after the milk has been sitting awhile? That's a good idea of what the hind milk is, although it's not separated like that in the breast.
    Pumps aren't as good as getting every last drop out like babies are but a lot of mom's use compression and massage to get all that you can out of your breast while your pumping. Some mom's are blessed with responding to the pump really well and only need to do that a little or even not at all. So she's probably not getting that snack hind milk that she might get, but she's probably getting enough and getting caught up on any she may be missing while she's with ya.