Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight gain problem??? HELP!

Default weight gain problem??? HELP!

Hi all!
    My DD is almost 4 (will be in 2 days) and we had a doc's appt today that I was looking forward to. Why? Because last week I had problem with milk supply (all of a sudden I was pumping less and less every day, twice less than all previous weeks) and besides I'm doubting myself all the time anyway. I always worry I don't have enought for her. I couldn'r wait to check her weight and...she only gained 13oz!!! In 6 weeks!!!
    My doc said that its not that bad, because she's not skinny but petit and very well proportioned (his words). Also, she's very strong physically, smiles and laughs a lot, she's not behind in her developmentsl milestones...She barely cries...But I offer her breast now every 1-1.5 hour to bring the supply up and she takes it...I'm home for the holidays and was counting on that time to bring up the supply, but don't know now if I should start supplementing. My doc said that its not nesessary, bu t if it worries me (it sure does) I should try giving her EBM after nursing here and there,,,If I do, i'LL run out of it very soon as after nursing I can pump much (10-20mL), so it means I'll have to use my stock...I'm lost and don't know what to do...
    Mother to 3 beautiful girls

Victoria, our queen, born on 04/15/1993, our pride and joy!
    Natalie, our little princess, born on 08/24/2008
    at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"
    at 2 y.o check up: 26lbs, 34 1/2"
    Sofia, our tiny princess, baby-surprize,
    born 07/20/2010 at 6lbs 10oz, 19"
    6 weeks: 9lbs 14oz; 21 1/2"
    2.5 months: 11lbs 5oz

4.5 months: 13lbs 4oz; 24 1/2"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Default Re: weight gain problem??? HELP!

Honestly it sounds like you're doing just fine. If your doc isn't concerned with her weight gain why are you? It sounds like she's following a normal growth curve, mama, try to relax. Just nurse her as often as you can if you're really worried. I see no reason to start supplementing, especially if your doctor didn't recommend it.

As long as baby is having plenty of wet diapers (5-6/day) she is getting enough milk! The fact that she's happy, strong, and meeting milestones just supports the fact that you are doing a great job.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks Paige,

you always make me feel good about myself. I really appreciate that!

I'll try no to think about her weight gain and rather concentrate on nursing more often. But every time she fusses at the breast I can't help myself

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

I have a petite little girl too. Between 4 and 6 mos, she gained only 8oz! But her ped isn't concerned, so I'm trying not to obsess. It's hard when your lo is on the smaller side and it seems like every other baby out there is a chunker! I just try to remember that by breastfeeding, I am trusting in a natural process that allows for her to take what she needs, when she needs it. Period.

Anyhow, I guess what I'm saying is that lots of babies aren't big and chunky. As Mamas to those babies we should try to relax and appreciate the fact that they're easier to carry!
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

It doesn't sound like she needs any supplements, but if you're worried about your supply, continuing to nurse every hour to hour and a half like you're doing is absolutely the best thing you can do.

It's normal for babies' weight gain to slow down at around four months, and even more at six months.

I think you've got the right idea about taking the time over the holidays to nurse a lot. It can only help your supply, and hopefully you'll have a chance to just sit and relax and enjoy your beautiful baby! You're doing great.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

LOL!

My 15-year-old daughter (yeap! 16 in 4 months to be axact) complains anyway that the baby's too heavy:-)

Honestly, when she's undressed, she doesn't look skinny, her arms and legs have some baby fat on them! Wow, 8oz in 2 months...I have something to look forward too...If I last that long with BFing. I wish I will, but being at work you can only pump that often...I'm lucky to be unnoticed by now and be able to pump 4 time is not going to last forewer and with my supply problems I'll be in big trouble right away. At least I'll still do at night, I'm sure, she's so into nursing at night.

The thing is, in my family everybody's struggling with weight all our lives. My mom is pretty heavy, me myself not bad only by not eating (have to lose 15lbs more aften pregnancy but can't stop eating), my almost 16-y-o is now fine but used to be chubby and on that side of the range, you know...So I'm not upset if ma LO will be on the smaller side all her life, as long as I know she gets all she needs. Pounds is my least concern for older children, but I though she's so tiny and maybe I'm not doing the right thing by trying to exclusively BF her, after all not everybody can???

BTW, my sis has a baby boy who's 5.5 mo and he's like 17lbs (was at 5mo), so he's pretty chubby (he's formula fed) and she's upset, because she can't make her Mother-in-law stop force feeding him...So go figure (not saying that my sis is tiny, she's 0-2).

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Thank you Karen for your support,

thats my plan to relax and nurse my DD every 1-1.5 hours... Sometimes she' s crying when I offer her the breast and how funny, I have no confidence at all, every time i think i have no milk...Last time I tried she cried and cried till I realized she just wanted to sleep.

Sometimes she's latching and unlutching non-stop and cries in between so I don't know what it is? Some mothers said in other thread its when they're teathing...Don't know about that.

I do have issues with my supply and soooooooooooooo want to bring it up...
    So I'll try again (as I struggle since she was born and so far was succesfull:-)

Thanks ladies, I couldn't have done it wothout your help!!!

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Glad you're feeling better. If you didn't know, breastfeeding your lo is the best thing you can do for her to help her avoid obesity later in life. In fact the more breastmilk she has the more you decrease her risk of becoming overweight/obese her whole life! Check this out. Good for you for keeping it up!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

Yeah...I'm trying...but my LO is not really helping much...All of a sudden, since 2pm till now (its almost 7pm) every time I try to put her to breast she starts crying and won't stop till I stop trying to feed her and pick her up...She had her shots today, so should I blame it on them???

at birth 7lbs 11oz, 20"

We are still exclusively
    at work

Shots will make them fussy for sure. Hang in there & keep trying!
    Renee
    LLL Leader