Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning my 1 year old?!

Default Weaning my 1 year old?!

I am going back to work in a few weeks and having the hardest time figuring out what to do about feeding my son. He is one and nurses 3-4 times a day and once in the middle of the night still. I would like to keep nursing him before bed and when he wakes up in the morning. I would like to attempt to wean him from nursing during the day because I am told he is old enough to be on regular milk. I have tried introducing whole milk to him, which he loved, but broke out in a rash and got diahrea. I took him off of that for a couple of weeks and thought I could give him that formula for toddlers. He was absolutly disgusted (understandably). Then I tried half whole milk and the formula and he had the same response. Now he won't drink any milk because he was so grossed out by the formula. He just pushes anything white in his sippy cup away.
    My main problem is that when I try to pump now, I can't even get half an ounce. I wouldn't mind pumping for him and giving him that in a sippy cup, but I don't have much left to give him anymore.
    Have any of you ladies dealt with this? How do you go about weaning him if I don't have anything to wean him to? I would love any suggestions. Thanks!

Default Re: Weaning my 1 year old?!

I would say to keep nursing him while you're with him. If you're gone for 8 hours just don't nurse him during that time. As long as he has 3 - 4 nursing sessions a day he doesn't have to be on cows milk. How does he do with other dairy products...any rashes/diarrhea? Have you tried soy or rice milk? And maybe since he associates white colored beverage with yucky taste, maybe you can put it in a colored sippy so he can't see it. I don't blame him for not liking the formula (that stuff stinks...I wouldn't drink it) your bm is sweet and always tastes good to baby. You can nurse him and give him water in his sippy while you're gone I just give dd water while I'm at work. She's fine with dairy though but really I see no reason to have her drink cow milk when she can have mine.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Thanks so much! He does do fine with other dairy such as cheese and yogurt. So, if I am nursing him morning and evening only, you think he would be fine with just water during the day a few days a week. This would take a lot of stress out of this. I will give the soy milk a try in a different sippy. He eats three solid meals a day, so I would guess that it is safe to assume that he doesn't HAVE to have milk all day everyday anymore, especially because of his age.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jtandaj View Post
    I would say to keep nursing him while you're with him. As long as he has 3 - 4 nursing sessions a day he doesn't have to be on cows milk. You can nurse him and give him water in his sippy while you're gone I just give dd water while I'm at work.

And btw, I LOVE your LO's name!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolansmom View Post
    Thanks so much! He does do fine with other dairy such as cheese and yogurt. So, if I am nursing him morning and evening only, you think he would be fine with just water during the day a few days a week. This would take a lot of stress out of this. I will give the soy milk a try in a different sippy. He eats three solid meals a day, so I would guess that it is safe to assume that he doesn't HAVE to have milk all day everyday anymore, especially because of his age.
    There will be plenty of calcium, etc in your breastmilk and other solid foods that he doesn't actually need cow's milk or any other substitute if you are still nursing when you are with him. I weaned from pumping when my daughter was about 12.5 mos old and she did fine jsut nursing nights and weekends, despite not drinking cow milk for several months.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

How many hours are you gone for during the day and how many days a week? I'll look up a link for you to look at from Kellymom.com, I'm slow at doing the links so give me a few. So you nurse him in the morning and the evening and once in the night? How about when you're at home all day...do you nurse more than the morning and night?

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk Hopefully this link works.

Also, just wanted to tell you what I do. As I mentioned before ds is 16 months. I am gone M-Th 6:30am - 4:30 pm. I nurse before we leave, when we return home, before bed and 1 - 2 times during the night (which I'm still trying to wean her from). I don't feel it's important for her to drink cow milk. She eats healthy and has plenty of eggs, cheese, yogurt, and mama milk. I don't pump while I'm at work. Also, Fri-Sun I nurse on demand and I always feel like she's getting what she needs.
    Last edited by @llli*jtandaj; December 22nd, 2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Add in link and short message
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    expecting 10/1/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jtandaj View Post
    How many hours are you gone for during the day and how many days a week? I'll look up a link for you to look at from Kellymom.com, I'm slow at doing the links so give me a few. So you nurse him in the morning and the evening and once in the night? How about when you're at home all day...do you nurse more than the morning and night?

I will be gone for about seven hours 3-5 days a week. I currently nurse him before his morning and afternoon nap. These are the two nursings that I won't be available for in a few weeks. I have been thinking about cutting him off from the 3 am feeding. I know he doesn't need milk at 3 am, but he keeps waking up and I keep going in there and nursing him back to sleep. Thanks so much for the link when you get it up.

Also, just wanted to tell you what I do. As I mentioned before ds is 16 months. I am gone M-Th 6:30am - 4:30 pm. I nurse before we leave, when we return home, before bed and 1 - 2 times during the night (which I'm still trying to wean her from). I don't feel it's important for her to drink cow milk. She eats healthy and has plenty of eggs, cheese, yogurt, and mama milk. I don't pump while I'm at work. Also, Fri-Sun I nurse on demand and I always feel like she's getting what she needs.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so, so much for letting me know what you do. It is a huge relief to know that I can not worry about weaning him during the day completly. It is good to know that your daughter still nurses fine during the days that you are home. Makes me feel much better.

Oh good! I'm glad you feel better. You can still nurse lo when ever you want, you don't have to wean feedings during the day if you both still want them there. Since you're not going to be pumping at work, you may be a little engorged the first few times, make sure to at least let some of the pressure off (manually express some milk so you don't have any issues with clogged ducts or mastitis, just until your breasts aren't hard...if they even get hard) You'll find that your body will adjust pretty quickly and you'll still be able to nurse at home anytime you want. It's weird, but somehow it just works out
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    expecting 10/1/11

And if you want to try to get him over the fear of "white" liquid in his sippy you could also try adding a bit of strawberry or chocolate flavoring to the rice/soy milk. You could also try Lactaid milk if he's having issues with cow milk but not cheese/yogurt.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09