Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: restart milk production

Default restart milk production

My daughter has acid reflux so I pump her milk then thicken with rice cereal & bottle feed her. I was planning to return to work so I reduced the number of times I pump and started using some formula. I went from 5 pumps per day to 2. My supply has decreased dramatically and my breasts are not nearly as full as they were.
    Now I found out that my position will be eliminated so I would like to increase the milk production again. I have tried pumping more often, but not getting much. Any suggestions???

Default Re: restart milk production

how long have you been pumping?
    Sometimes it takes a while to see an increase in milk.

How old is baby?
    Does she nurse any at the breast?

What kind of pump do you have? Sometimes a better pump can increase production.

How old is your current pump? After a while pumps wear out- the motors get old, they lose suction, etc. A newer pump might help.

How often are you pumping? The more frequently you pump, the faster you will see results. When I had supply issues, I pumped every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night. Pumping after nursing (if you are nursing) will also help increase supply.

A technique called power pumping may help; it's supposed to mimic the way a baby feeds and boosts its mom's supply during a growth spurt. To power pump, pump both breasts for 10 minutes, then rest for 10, then pump for 10, then rest for 10, and finally pump again for 10 minutes for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in a 1-hour period.

Good luck!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO is almost 3 months old. She is only EP milk bottle fed. My pump is about 2 1/2 years old, I bought is for my first daughter. It could be wearing out, but I think I'll try the power pump tomorrow. Thanks for your help.