Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: day care/mothers day out

Default day care/mothers day out

im considering putting my lo in a mdo program...just wondered how many of you find your los getting sick from being in daycare/mothers day outs? i know kids get sick no matter what,but being in daycares i hear its worse.. im such a germ freak.

Default Re: day care/mothers day out

You have to do what works best for you and your family. Kids are sick all the time and they're sick before they have symptoms. I've had lo in a home daycare for 1 1/2 months (before that I had a nanny). I haven't noticed any extra sicknesses. If someone's sick it's likely your baby will get sick too, it's just how it goes. DS was in home daycares & facilities for 8 years, he got sick but it didn't seem like he was sick all of the time. Good luck.
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

I haven't seen a significant difference with K. She's in preschool 2 half days a week and with our nanny all other times. They are always on the go so she's been exposed to other kids and germs. Nothing significant.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

In my experience they get sick when they meet a new germ - on the bus- in day care - when mom brings it home - whenever. DS got his first cold when we were still home together on maternity leave. There are a concentration of germs (LOs are really just walking germbags ) in daycare but the issue is more when they get germs you aren't exposed to - because your BM gives them the ability to fight what your body has been exposed to.

That being said, the front loading of infectious illness can protect your LO as they get older. There is mounting evidence that keeping your kid away from too many germs can leave them at much higher risk of serious illness down the road.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.