Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I have MS, what to do?

Default I have MS, what to do?

Hi, this is my first thread, I have had multiple sclerosis since 2006, I gave birth to my beautiful, IUD baby, in june. My question is...my neuologist and family, except for my husband, want me to wean the baby and start meds again. Right now I really don't want to wean her, it means a lot to me to be able to nurse her. But the con of it all is I risk having a relapse. Right now I feel very very tired, Not sure if its the baby and nursing or the MS. What can I do to increase my energy, and no one seems to accept that nursing her is the best for her, and important to me, why can't they understand that?

Default Re: I have MS, what to do?

I had a baby in June, too. She will have been EBF on the 26th!!

You are doing a GREAT thing for your baby. Good for you!

i can't imagine Breast feeding with the kinds of health challenges that you are facing. That's amazing. I hope you find the encouragement and answers that you need on this forum.

Energy is hard to come by when you are nursing a little one.

I try to rest as much as possible, exercise regularly, eat VERY healthy, take supplements, and drink TONS of water. Protein helps, too.

Hope your nursing goes well! All the best to you...

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Welcome! You're giving your baby a wonderful gift by nursing her!

Personally, I can't think of anything that is better for increasing your energy than having lots of help around the house. Someone to watch the baby so you can steal a nap, or someone to cook dinner or do the laundry or go grocery shopping. Can your family pitch in?

I am sure it must be very hard to balance the need to protect your health against the need to do what you want to do for your baby. Have you considered pumping a bit here and there, in order to build up a stash of expressed milk? That way, if you run into a situation where you really must stop nursing, you can continue to give your baby your own milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You are doing what you feel is right. This is a challenge to every new mom and dealing with others opinions is always hard. Try to sleep/rest when baby is napping and make sure to eat well and stay hydrated. Here's to many months of happy & healthy nursing for you & your lo!!!!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

I appreciate all the support, hubby will be home from iraq in Jan so that will help a lot, I do have about 160 ounces frozen, so I can give her to a neighbor when i need to.

You are doing a great job, mom. It must be hard to keep nursing when so many people want you to wean. But listen to your heart, you are doing the best thing for your baby.

I'm wondering whether any of your MS meds are compatible with breastfeeding?

I think fatigue is a number 1 symptom for people with MS? I've known a few people with MS and they always talk about the fatigue, whether they have kids or not. Looking after a baby is certainly tiring for moms, no matter how they feed them. Having to wash bottles and prepare bottles in the middle of the night or even during the day would be more tiring to a mom than nursing. Soothing a breastfed baby is easy. I don't know how your LO is sleeping, if you're getting woken up alot at night, perhaps your hubby will be able to help once he's back home.

Your baby's getting older and more mobile so the more help you can get the better. If you can get help with the housework and someone to look after your baby while you nap. Get as much rest as you can. If you can find a support group for others with MS, online or in your city, this might help give you some ideas.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Wow! In addition to all you are doing, your husband is serving in Iraq. Blessings to you...

I have TONS of help from my hubby - and I still feel exhausted many days.

I hope you can find the help and support you need so that you can get some rest.

Take care...

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

wow what an amazing momma you are! well done for giving your baby the best you can. Believe me, I have had three children and this is the first baby I have bf, I can honestly say b'feeding is by far the easiest and quickest method of feeding my baby. yes its tiring and I can only imagine how much more tiring it would be for someone with MS, but if you are tired, you nap knowing that you don't have to worry about bottles having to be sterlised and formula needing to be made up. On top of this, your baby is being given lots of antibodies so that they don't get sick and have more sleepless nights which in turn makes you more tired. Well done I say, and if someone suggests you give up, give them a mop and bucket and ask them to help you out instead!

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months