Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am i drying up?

Default Am i drying up?

Hello all,
    I am very concerned about my supply currently. I am a working mom. LO is over 8and1/2 months now. i pump at work and nurse at home on demand. I am away for around 10hrs 5 days a week. i used to get around 12-14 oz per day at work. i have pisa which i use. from a week i have dropped my output a lot. i hardly get 9-10oz, i.e barely 2 -2.5 oz per pumping session. i pump 4 times a day. also lo is not drinking well. he just gained 4oz last month(between 7.5 month and 8.5 month checkups). he has hit lot a milestones though during that time like lower 2 teeth, crawling, standing etc. during this visit ped said he has swelling on upper and will cut upper tooth as well.
    he used to drink around 17-18oz while i was away but now has dropped to around 10.
    i am really worried about my supply.
    please help. i wish i could atleast hit the mark of 1 year for my baby.
    thanks.

Default Re: Am i drying up?

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Could you answer a couple questions for me?

When you say your baby is taking less milk while you're gone... Is that because you have less milk to leave for him, or is it because he's not interested in drinking more than about 10 oz?

Is he eating solid food? Have there been any changes in the amount of solids he eats?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I do leave him around 17oz milk from the stash i have. He doesnt seem to drink. He does eat solids twice in small amounts though. But my MIL tries to feed him milk first and after half an hour she gives him solids. This hasnt changed during last 3-4 weeks.
    i dont have too much stash so i am worried. both ways.. for him not taking in enough and me not producing.

I'm wondering if he's getting more interested in solids and that's why he's taking in less milk. Or else he's so excited about all the other things he can do now that he can't be bothered.

Does he nurse often in the evening or at night? It's possible that he has shifted his schedule a bit to get more of his milk when you're there, and your body is adjusting to it. You might try encouraging him to nurse more at night, or pumping after evening feedings to give your supply a boost.

Weight gain often slows down at around that age, especially when baby starts crawling and burning up more calories. Did your pediatrician seem concerned at all?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks for the reply.
    He does wake up more at night these days. Ped did not seem to be too much concerned but told me to give him more milk (which i try). He does seem interested in solids. MIL sits him to lunch with her and feeds him some rice.
    I just hope that he stays healthy with his intake. This long weekend i would try to search for list of solids which i could give him with milk that can boost his calories.
    thanks again. i need some motivation i guess.