Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overactive letdown versus dairy intolerance?

Default overactive letdown versus dairy intolerance?

SO my second baby, a boy, has been diagnosed with a milk protein sensitivity, possibly soy protein sensitivity, and reflux. Ironically, my first daughter, now 2, had the same issues. The symptoms were fussiness, gassiness, crying when nursing, green, mucousy poop, and occult blood in the poop. Now that I'm seeing the same pattern in our little boy I'm wondering how much of it is really due to my ridiculous overabundance of milk. I already block feed on one side for 2 hours but I still have an insane letdown. My question is has anyone had their babies positive for occult (invisible) blood in the stool due to overactive letdown? Both my kids have had positive Hemoccult tests as babies meaning they have red blood cells in their poop. With my daughter I cut dairy out of my diet until she was 10 months and able to tolerate it. This is also when my milk production finally slowed a bit as she started eating more solids. My new pediatrician (we moved and I miss our old doc!) seems to just want me to go to formula because it's easier for him but I refuse. I've been off dairy now for 2 weeks and limiting soy but my baby is still extremely fussy and has the green gooey poop. I'm becoming suspicious that the bulk of my issues can be attributed to the excessive foremilk, as I never feel like baby boy gets much hindmilk. But yeah - let me know if anyone ever had bloody poop from this!

Default Re: overactive letdown versus dairy intolerance?

bump

Default Re: overactive letdown versus dairy intolerance?

I know this is an old thread but . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beckyd View Post
    I already block feed on one side for 2 hours but I still have an insane letdown.
    My OALD was a bit extreme, but I had to go to 6 hour blocks before I noticed a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beckyd View Post
    My new pediatrician (we moved and I miss our old doc!) seems to just want me to go to formula because it's easier for him but I refuse.
    Good for you! Switching to formula is not a good solution for dairy / soy allergies!!

We had blood in the stool issues (although my LO tested neg. in the peds. office) after I had pretty well controlled my OALD. It was probably b/c of a tummy bug or drool from teething (at 4 months!!). BUT, I think it wouldn't hurt for you to try longer stretches and see if your LO tummy is happier once you have the OALD/ OS under control.

nak
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing