Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feels like I'm feeding constantly

Default Feels like I'm feeding constantly

I need some reassurance this is normal.....

my daughter is 9 weeks old tomorrow and has been exclusively breast fed from day one. I'm struggling at the moment, because it feels like I'm almost constantly feeding her from morning to bedtime (currently she's settling for a long feed at about 11pm - sometime midnnight.) I may get 30 mins break before she starts fussing, sometimes it can be 10 mins.

She's gaining weight well - about 8 - 9+ ounces a week.

I guess she's probably not always hungry when she's fussing, more needing me as a pacifier - I really don't want to go down the dummy route!

I don't mind her using me as a pacifier, it's not as if there is anthing more important for me to be doing (she's an only child). I use a baby wrap when I'm done sitting on the sofa, that generally sends her to sleep.

Will I ever be able to say right..... your fed, have a clean bottom I'm going to go for a bath, and she'll probably be ok without a lactating breast around?

Default Re: Feels like I'm feeding constantly

Both of my girls were like that- babies love the close contact that nursing offers. So what I do to get things done is carry my daughter around in the mei-tai carrier- it sends her right off to sleep or at least keeps her content. She's in it for most of the day while I take care of the two-year-old.

9 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt...
    You can make it through it.
    Just nurse when she wants to, and its ok to take a break if you need to!

Do you have somebody to help you?
    Sometimes you have to just say "I'm going to take a bath and your going to hold the baby when I do"
    ITs hard for others to know what you need with out you telling them.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    9 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt...
    You can make it through it.
    Just nurse when she wants to, and its ok to take a break if you need to!

Do you have somebody to help you?
    Sometimes you have to just say "I'm going to take a bath and your going to hold the baby when I do"
    ITs hard for others to know what you need with out you telling them.
    Thank you, yes i have the very supportive daddy at home. He's quite happy to look after her, it's just when she's crying at such sporadic times, I find it hard to go for a bath for instance with out thinking she may need the amazing pacifyer that is my breast.

Still it's not forever is it, as long she's happy...

I'm also just so pleased that I'm able to feed her myself.

thank you for your support. I feel better, just knowing people are out ther who have been and are in the same boat.

I used to feel the same way...A very supportive Daddy, but if i was in the shower and heard her crying, i could not enjoy my time alone. I had him take her downstairs if she started to cry so i could have some me time without worrying about her. I also used to offer the breasts whenever she was fussy. I eventually figured out her hungry cry/behavior vs. her "I'm bored/let's do something else" cry. It is nice at night too because i used to feed her everytime she woke up. We figured out the difference between "i'm up because i'm hungry" and "i'm up and need help going back to sleep." Hang in there! There were many times when i felt exhausted, it does get better! My daughter is only 21 weeks, so i'm not expert, but learning her cues has made everything a lot easier!