Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my baby self weaning?

Default Is my baby self weaning?

Hello! I'm sure this question has been asked a number of times!! My nine month old has been breastfed exclusively since birth, until recently, he starting getting solids... probably for the past 2-3 months. He has slowly become uninterested in breastfeeding. I thought initially he just became a more efficient eater but I don't think any baby can eat all they need to in 2 or 3 minutes. I know he is teething so could that be a reason why he won't eat?

It's kind of confusing because he will suck for a little bit and then turn away and cry a little and then go back and then turn away and until he finally really upsets himself so we stop. So it almost seems like he still wants to eat. Another detail I should mention is I'm pregnant. I'm 5 months along already. Maybe this is a point during my pregnancy where my milk changes and he doesn't like the taste.

And lastly I'm worried that I am giving him too much solids. He might be filling up on that instead of breastmilk. His pediatrician told me to feed until he doesn't want anymore and that seems to turn into to quite a bit. He is eating 2 of the 2.5oz Gerber containers fruit/veggies 3 times a day. And honestly he would eat more if I would give it to him.

Well now that I officially rambled on... I hope someone can help a lost mother :-(

Default Re: Is my baby self weaning?

Hi there,
    I can tell that you are concerned about this turn of events with your ds and your pregnancy.

You are right to consider that your pregnancy may have changed things for ds. Here are a couple of articles that discuss nursing during pregnancy. Many moms do find that their milk supply decreases during pregnancy. (I can't get the number right now from my BAB-it is downstairs and dd's are falling asleep-if I go down they will see me!) Your ds may be reacting to a redcuced supply, and if so, that may be why he has increased his need for solids. The taste of your milk may changed as well.

Have you considered what will happen after the new baby is born? DS may want to continue to nurse, if he still is at that point. And with the return of your milk that may be very exciting for him!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug00p116.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html

If you want more info about this feel free to ask, or you may wish to contact a local Leader. Hang in there!

If you aren't already, maybe it would help to BF him right before feeding him solids. That way he's hungrier for the milk and may not be so discriminating!
    I hope the pregnancy is going well. You may not know it, but you offer some hope to the EBF moms who are TTC!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hi Molly! I have tried BF him before his solids but he still doesn't seem very interested. I'm confused on what to do though. I almost want to cut back on solids so MAYBE he is more hungry for breastmilk. But then I don't want to make him hungry :-/ I'm lost. I keep thinking I should start supplementing and trying formula to see if he takes that better. I'm so nervouse he's not getting enough nutrients. He's thinning out but he is also becoming a lot more active. And I am on government assisstance for insurance so I'm not exactly comfortable with his pediatrician. I have switched twice already and still not getting the best of doctors so I don't really get the best advice from them :-( I'm lost. I wish someone could just look at him and tell me if he's getting enough of the GOOD STUFF! I want him to be strong and healthy! Sorry for the rambling!

Here is a link that may answer more of your questions about supply and solid foods:

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/f...lkchanges.html

It is not an LLL article.

Most mothers do experience a drop in supply, and an increase in solids is one way to tell that this has happened. I would just suggest that you keep an eye on ds's growth and output. If you feel you need to supplement it is something you can discuss with your doctor.

Hope things are going well. And by the way, you were not rambling at all. I found you to be very coherent!

Hi Heather!
    You have a lot of challenges ahead of you with breastfeeding, with your current issues and with another one on the way!
    I'm sure you have a lot of questions. Obviously, you can keep coming here for support, but I also encourage you to check and see whether there is a local LLL chapter where you can get some help.
    Hang in there!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on