Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: going back to work in Feb

Default going back to work in Feb

Hi I have a 6 month old girl who I have bf since birth with no bottles. I started solids (cereal, fruit and veg) about a month ago. I pump 2 oz at the end of every day and that is enough to mix the cereal for the day so far.

She doesn't take a bottle, I've tried every bottle on earth and every method.. warm, hot, cold, from frozen, just pumped, middle of the night, bait & switch, someone else feeding her, leaving the house while they try, me trying... I'm exhausted from it all (it's been a few months now). She doesn't take a paci and doesn't suck on anything (except me ). So... What do I do when I return to work in 5 weeks?

I've introduced a sippy with water and she sort of bites it and sometimes swallows but doesn't do anything if I put breast milk in it.

The caregiver I'll be leaving her with is sort of inexperienced in these matters because she's my sister's mother in law so I can't depend on her to sort it out while I'm gone as you might think with an experienced caregiver.

My dr. was NO help at all, she said "keep trying the bottle".. she's a young dr and I think she doesn't think there is such thing as a baby that won't drink from a bottle.

I'm co-sleeping and I'm fine with bf'ing her all night if I have to when I return to work. I wonder if I pump at work it might keep my supply up and I can give it to my sister's mother in law to give to her in cereal and perhaps just a regular cup (that's what I've tried the last few days).

So my first question is.. does anyone else have any experience with a baby at age 7.5 months that didn't take a bottle and relied on food/water perhaps sippy when they went back to work? What did you do?

My second question is when you pump at work how do you store the milk? Do you use one bottle and pump the milk over the milk previously pumped that same day? Do you pump as often as you were breastfeeding (for me it's every 2 hours now)? Where do you wash out the pump?

I'm sure everyone who has to return to work gets anxious and that's me right now.. with no useful advice from my dr. I'm really hoping your experiences will help to guide me.

thanks for reading my long post...

Default Re: going back to work in Feb

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avayasmom View Post
    Hi I have a 6 month old girl who I have bf since birth with no bottles. I started solids (cereal, fruit and veg) about a month ago. I pump 2 oz at the end of every day and that is enough to mix the cereal for the day so far.

She doesn't take a bottle, I've tried every bottle on earth and every method.. warm, hot, cold, from frozen, just pumped, middle of the night, bait & switch, someone else feeding her, leaving the house while they try, me trying... I'm exhausted from it all (it's been a few months now). She doesn't take a paci and doesn't suck on anything (except me ). So... What do I do when I return to work in 5 weeks?

I've introduced a sippy with water and she sort of bites it and sometimes swallows but doesn't do anything if I put breast milk in it.

The caregiver I'll be leaving her with is sort of inexperienced in these matters because she's my sister's mother in law so I can't depend on her to sort it out while I'm gone as you might think with an experienced caregiver.

My dr. was NO help at all, she said "keep trying the bottle".. she's a young dr and I think she doesn't think there is such thing as a baby that won't drink from a bottle.

I'm co-sleeping and I'm fine with bf'ing her all night if I have to when I return to work. I wonder if I pump at work it might keep my supply up and I can give it to my sister's mother in law to give to her in cereal and perhaps just a regular cup (that's what I've tried the last few days).

So my first question is.. does anyone else have any experience with a baby at age 7.5 months that didn't take a bottle and relied on food/water perhaps sippy when they went back to work? What did you do?

My second question is when you pump at work how do you store the milk? Do you use one bottle and pump the milk over the milk previously pumped that same day? Do you pump as often as you were breastfeeding (for me it's every 2 hours now)? Where do you wash out the pump?

I'm sure everyone who has to return to work gets anxious and that's me right now.. with no useful advice from my dr. I'm really hoping your experiences will help to guide me.

thanks for reading my long post...
    So I don't have any advice on the not taking a bottle issue b/c I've never had that problem, sorry.

On the second question: "when you pump at work how do you store the milk? Do you use one bottle and pump the milk over the milk previously pumped that same day? Do you pump as often as you were breastfeeding (for me it's every 2 hours now)? Where do you wash out the pump?" I have a bag that came w/my pump that I put ice packs in and when I am finished pumping I put the milk in a storage bag, lable it, and put it inbetween the ice packs. You don't ever, EVER want to pump over what you pumped earlier. You ALWAYS want to keep your milk cold, therefore you don't want to mix the two b/c they'll be different temperatures. Yes you pump as often as you would feed. Like my son would eat every morning at 9 so while I was at work at 9 I would pump..same time, same hours, everything the same. I normally run hot water, really hot water, through the pump things ( don't know what their called b/c my mind has drawn a blank) and sometimes I wash them w/soap. Dont worry about people looking at you weird if you don't have a private restroom, I've found that most women understand completly!! And yes, I too was anxious. but it passes...as soon as you get use to pumping at work your nerves will be calm!
    SAHM to a beautiful baby born 05/13/08 I"m so in , to make money for my baby, enjoying every minute of it

thanks for your reply! I have an office but unfortunately it's made of glass so I'll probably have to pump in the bathroom. I was thinking I'd store the milk in the fridge and use it for the next day. I think I have that problem with the milk when it's frozen it smells weird and the baby doesn't seem to like it (can't think of the name now) so whatever I pump I'll have to remember to use it in 3 days. I think if I can't pump over the milk from earlier then I'd better put the milk into bags and mark the date. I just hate to waste one drop since I don't get much milk in each pumping (I call it liquid gold).

I read the post about what do you keep in your pumping bag and that was very useful info. It's quite a relief to read the posts here to see that others are able to do it so I'm sure I will be able also.. My work atmosphere is not very pro-baby and definitely not very pro-bfing so I know I'm going to have a tough road ahead of me... of course my little one comes first though!

First on your great BF relationship.

I cant help on the bottle thing but it seems to be a fairly common problem from what I have read here - the frequent solution seems to be to have mommy go away so LO doesn't think they can get it from the source.

work and pumping questions - I will let you know my experience.

1. There are often rooms you can use that you never thought about - eg a supply closet isn't ideal but its better than a bathroom - think about it and ask around - a conference room isn't bad either)

2. Breast milk is good at room temp for about 8 hours. If you are keeping the bottles at room temp you can pump into them again.

3. Breast milk is good at room temp for about 8 hours. You don't really have to wash the horns and stuff (I used to stick mine in the fridge in a (non see through) bag) Just a rinse through with water is good too. Medela makes wipes as well (but they are pretty expensive)

4. Anxiousness is normal it may affect your supply the first few days too but don't worry - if you look after yourself and pump frequently it will come back up.

5. Pump as many times as the baby would eat or supply will go down

6. You probably will pump much more than you expect - right now you are pumping on top of what LO eats.

7. IT WILL BE OK!!

8. Come back often - we are here to help (even if it is only to give sympathy)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.